The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this off my brother this evening and he can't remeber where he go it but its missing the ramrod but is in over all decent shape
i have been looking all evening for info on it BUT all i am finding is percussion style .

This if a flinterlock
whats something like this worth ?
Would it be safe to shoot?

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
That pistol was sold by CVA as the colonial pistol. Several other importers had guns made by the Jukar factory and sold them under various names. Many of the parts are identical to the CVA Kentucky pistol (but not the lock) CVA used such what I call short flint locks on their early guns and later switcched to a better Maislin style lock. Some of the later ones had pretty good rifling annd some early ones barely had scratches for rifling. A CVA Colonial Pistol per the 1984 catelogue came in 45 caliber, had a 6&3/4 inch barrel, 7/8 ascross the flats. weighed 31 oz., It was available finished in perc. 45 caliber for $73.95 list and a flint kit was available for $62.95 list.

The ram rods were metal. Dixie carried some parts for CVA guns and may have one. Although, the ram rods were just metal rods with swelled ends.Looked to be metal road about 3/16 inch and a button end about .42 in diameter. It shouldn't be hard to make one.

A patched 440 ball and around 15 or 20 grains of powder and it ought to be good for 20 yard paper plates. (The trigger pulls on most of them were terrible, running around 6 to 10 lbs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have one just like that except it is a percussion and has Dikar on it instead od Jukar. I have an old Jukar .45 longrifle, shoots real good. I like the way it shoots. I shoot 20 grains FFFg with a patched ball in the pistol. Alot of fun. Have fun with it. <>< del

1 - 8 of 8 Posts