The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1983 16' Lowe jon boat did not come with any storage space except under the front casting platform.
Did not want to spend a lot of $ and don't have a lot of tools.
Decided that it would be best to use the second bench seat as a storage compartment.
Got a metal sign from craigslist for free (Says DO NOT PASS).
Used the slots in my picnic table to bend the sign; used a metal pipe so that the bends would be rounded, not sharp.
Drilled 4 pilot holes in the bench seat, at the corners. This way I had a place to put in the jig saw blade.
Yes, I did remove the styrofoam insulation from the bench seat. However, I believe the boat still has more than adequate floatation b/c I added insulation under the floor (helps to dampen noise, too).
Cut a brass a piano hinge to desired length and used pop rivets to attach the hinge to the bent sign.

The nice thing is that the seat is fairly rigid and can be rebent to make it more snug on the bench.

Also, the sign didn't have to be cut and the excess helps to make the compartment more water tight.

NOTE: the hatch opening is hinged differently: it opens towards the port side, NOT towards the bow or the stern.

WHY? I row a lot and sitting on the hinge is a pain.

Email me at [email protected] for pictures.

Total expense was less than $20.00 (hinge, primer, paint, rivets).

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Nice Why not post the pictures on here? I like to see and I'm sure other would as well.

I heard that road signs are good to use for the boat. I am thinking about added to the front deck and someone said to use road signs because they usually free and they are strong.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts