The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. Was in a hurry showing someone how to cock and uncock the xbow, put the cocking rope on wrong and wham!!! Looked the Excalibur axiom over and found no apparent damage to the limbs or string thank God!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same here Boot. You heading up to the big woods during archery season this year? My family's camp is by the black forest inn, and my father in laws camp is by Oleana. You're down Kettle right? We should hook up during the season.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Excaliburs usually survive a dry fire. Others, not so much.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
foxhound1 said:
Same here Boot. You heading up to the big woods during archery season this year? My family's camp is by the black forest inn, and my father in laws camp is by Oleana. You're down Kettle right? We should hook up during the season.
I'll be up chasin bucks in the big woods for sure but I don't know what weekends at this point. Usually the weather will dictate when I make the trek. I'm all the way at the southern end of the KC Valley.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You need to use your fingernail and go over the limbs after a dryfire you could have a split limb and not even know it.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
My friend dry fired my brand new excalibuer now 2 years ago. Told him be careful don't touch trigger. He wanted to see what it was like to cock it. After he cocked it he picked it up with his finger on the trigger and whammo. Told him to put safety on as soon as he cocked it. I got the "I know I know " response. It broke about 1/4 of the strings. He replace the string and lucky it was not damaged any further. At least I know he would have replaced or had it fixed if needed. Cracks me up how people sometimes get when u remind them to do things. Like they already know. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Just like when I flintlock hunt and am always checking the pan and frizzen, I am always checking to make sure the safety in on and bolt is seated against the string. Just a habit and a good one to have! Even as little as 1/4" of space between the string and the bolt nock can effectively cause a "dry fire" and can ruin some bows.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I did it about 6 years ago on my Excalibur Exocet. Dan Miller in Sardis Ohio the warranty provider for Excalibur replaced my limbs for free.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
They, like some of the other manufactures, certainly do have excellent customer service I'll say that for sure.

·
Registered
523 Posts
String stoppers really make a dryfire less damaging than without. You can make a set with limbsavers for around 20$.

Good Luck, Stan

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Excalibur touts they can survive a dry fire , dropped from a tree , run over by atv , . “try that with a compound Xbow and your be a proud owner of 100 pieces “

100 pieces (xbow) 3 pieces (Excalibur) pieces are pieces dude..

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The recurve I have been testing with lately is the Middleton DTM 330. I have dry fired it about 40 times with no damage to the limbs. I have lost a few strings but the limbs are fine. This was part of the testing I did to see if certain strings I built would last longer than others.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts