The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got up on a hilltop nice and early this morning waiting for a bird to fire off. He did, but he was all the way down on the bottom by my truck. Not another peep within ear shot, so I hiked back down......and of course he shut up.
Back into the truck by 6:30 looking for better gobbling birds. i pulled into a Gamelands parking lot and there was another truck there already, as well as a strutter out in the field several hundred yards off. I made a huge loop back in the woods trying to avoid the hunter and not spook the bird I figured he was hunting, but after several hundred yards I ran into the guy who said he'd been working several different birds.
I told him what I saw. He decided to stay put and told me to go after the strutter. So I crept out a hedgerow and glassed to find the gobbler and his hen again. They had moved off to the far end of the field and I got into position within 150 yards of them and got as comfortable as I could in the greenbriars, Autumn olives and thorn trees.
I watched them over the course of an hour or so. He bred her and he masturbated. She went in the woods and laid an egg (as far as I could tell) and he just stayed glued right on her.....strutting almost constantly and never gobbling once. Finally she broke away from that corner and they were on the move with him barely keeping up with her. I gave him my first series of yelps hoping that if she did lose him that he might come looking for me. They disappeared in a roll in the field and I had to roll up on my knees to keep tabs on his fan, all the while trying to re-find the hen so she didn't bust me. He got closer and closer to the point I could hear the Spit of his strut and I realized his hen was several hundred yards away. He lost interest in her and was coming looking for me!
He got to a point in the field where the plowed section met the tall grass and strutted back and forth there and ripped out his first 3 gobbles of the morning.....I'm guessing 45 yards or so. It became apparent that was as far as he was coming, so when he spun to show me his rear end, I stood up from behind the briar tangle and waited for him to spin his white head into my red dot. The #9 TSS dropped him stone cold dead.
20.6 lb
9.25" beard
1.5" and 1.5" spurs
I caught up with a buddy of mine later on and he whacked a good one too.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I got up on a hilltop nice and early this morning waiting for a bird to fire off. He did, but he was all the way down on the bottom by my truck. Not another peep within ear shot, so I hiked back down......and of course he shut up.
Back into the truck by 6:30 looking for better gobbling birds. i pulled into a Gamelands parking lot and there was another truck there already, as well as a strutter out in the field several hundred yards off. I made a huge loop back in the woods trying to avoid the hunter and not spook the bird I figured he was hunting, but after several hundred yards I ran into the guy who said he'd been working several different birds.
I told him what I saw. He decided to stay put and told me to go after the strutter. So I crept out a hedgerow and glassed to find the gobbler and his hen again. They had moved off to the far end of the field and I got into position within 150 yards of them and got as comfortable as I could in the greenbriars, Autumn olives and thorn trees.
I watched them over the course of an hour or so. He bred her and he masturbated. She went in the woods and laid an egg (as far as I could tell) and he just stayed glued right on her.....strutting almost constantly and never gobbling once. Finally she broke away from that corner and they were on the move with him barely keeping up with her. I gave him my first series of yelps hoping that if she did lose him that he might come looking for me. They disappeared in a roll in the field and I had to roll up on my knees to keep tabs on his fan, all the while trying to re-find the hen so she didn't bust me. He got closer and closer to the point I could hear the Spit of his strut and I realized his hen was several hundred yards away. He lost interest in her and was coming looking for me!
He got to a point in the field where the plowed section met the tall grass and strutted back and forth there and ripped out his first 3 gobbles of the morning.....I'm guessing 45 yards or so. It became apparent that was as far as he was coming, so when he spun to show me his rear end, I stood up from behind the briar tangle and waited for him to spin his white head into my red dot. The #9 TSS dropped him stone cold dead.
20.6 lb
9.25" beard
1.5" and 1.5" spurs
I caught up with a buddy of mine later on and he whacked a good one too.
View attachment 169076 View attachment 169077 View attachment 169078 View attachment 169079 View attachment 169080 View attachment 169081 View attachment 169082
Nice job brother ! Hope to have ya some pics of a couple in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I like the way you went out of your way NOT to bother a hunter you suspected of being close - many others would just walk in and set up.
Great bird(s) and write up of your morning. I am watching the field across from my house (as I work) waiting for Tom to strut by and I will call in sick for a couple hours... Ha!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Very nice. I love long spurs!

I'm sitting at 1 5/8". I'd like to get the elusive 2". Most likely to never be achieved! But that's okay...I have yet to pass up a tom because I thought his spurs were too short LOL. In almost all cases I don't know what their spurs are until I retrieve them. Luck of the draw.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Congrats Brother!!!!
Those are some Daggers!!!!! In all honesty, no matter how many Pa. gobblers you are blessed to kill in your life, true 1 1/2" are very hard to come by.
Beautiful bird, greats pics!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome to the club. I’ve been very fortunate in the spur category. 1 3/4 , 1 7/8 and a 2 1/4. I’ve been chasing one for a couple years now that should be pushing 2”. I’m going after him with the bow on Friday. How I k ow he’s that big is he walks past us every deer season within feet of the blind and ya just can’t miss them hogs. Last year ironically he became the less dominant bird and keeps his distance in the mating ritual. He won’t acknowledge a call so I just keep sitting where they like to be hoping he shows up.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome to the club. I’ve been very fortunate in the spur category. 1 3/4 , 1 7/8 and a 2 1/4. I’ve been chasing one for a couple years now that should be pushing 2”.
That’s incredible. I think you’ve posted pics before and they leave little doubt. I know they exist, but a 2” spur is like a 200” typical whitetail. Unicorns basically.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts