The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noted author and Second Amendment defender, John Lott, will be speaking at Dickinson College in Carlisle, on Monday evening.

Stern Great Room, at 7 PM.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Denny, could you provide us with some Bio info on this john Lott fellow, seems there are like 37 "J. Lotts" in the US alone, where is he from and what type of agenda does he push, good or bad guy, age , etc. ???

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Media bias and defensive gun use
Lott argues in both More Guns, Less Crime and The Bias Against Guns that media coverage of defensive gun use is rare, noting that in general, only shootings ending in fatalities are discussed in news stories. In More Guns, Less Crime, Lott writes that "ince in many defensive cases a handgun is simply brandished, and no one is harmed, many defensive uses are never even reported to the police".

Attempting to quantify this phenomenon, in the first edition of the book, published in May 1998, Lott wrote that "national surveys" suggested that "98 percent of the time that people use guns defensively, they merely have to brandish a weapon to break off an attack." In that same paragraph he also wrote that "ince in many defensive cases a handgun is simply brandished, and no one is harmed, many defensive uses are never even reported to the police." The higher the rate of defensive gun uses that do not end in the attacker being killed or wounded, the easier it is to explain why defensive gun uses are not covered by the media without reference to media bias. Lott cited the figure frequently in the media, including publications like the Wall Street Journal[30] and the Los Angeles Times.[31]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lott

·
Registered
470 Posts
thanks denny for the heads up on the event and thanks to timberdoodle and ghost for the reply. I urge all to read the WIKI link that ghost supplied with his reply, its a good read, and you can make up your own mind on the good guy, bad guy question I posed earlier. For me, it seems this is the type of person we need at this time and place in our fight to keep and quite possibly, to "bear" arms.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Lonnie, Keep in mind that Wiki tends to have a left bend (the reason I posted it) having said that, Dr. Lotts papers are the only peer reviewed papers on the subject, meaning all the other rhetoric from the anti gun crowd is just that rhetoric, and while they demonize Dr. Lott, they either cant or wont have any of their so called "facts" peer reviewed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts