The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else on here participating in the John Heinz Mentored hunt this year? Both my Son and Step Son are going this weekend with my Dad and myself being the mentors along with myself mentoring another weekend in December. I mentored my Step Son there last year and had a good time. He shot his first and second deer there. A 7 point the first evening and a doe the next morning.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Goodluck! I know there are some big deer in there for sure. Seems like a good program there running there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Goodluck! I know there are some big deer in there for sure. Seems like a good program there running there.
Thanks. Surprisingly there are not as many big deer as I expected. I found out they sneak through the creeks into the airport alot and the airport sharp shooters get them very regularly. The biggest deer known to be on the property by the refuge staff is a 9 point drop tine thats prob around 120" from the pictures ive seen.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we are out here. We got a late start today due to the safety briefing this morning. We got to the blind around 6:30 and pushed a few on the way in. We havnt seen any since getting set up though.

·
Super Moderator
27,476 Posts
Good luck. Looking forward to the stories and photos!
Do you have more than one day, or is the lottery for one day only?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck. Looking forward to the stories and photos!
Do you have more than one day, or is the lottery for one day only?
We get 3 days. Thrus through Sat. We moved spots for a mid day sit but im thinking this will be our evening spot also. So far just wet feet.

Im not sure how to post pics from my phone.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update for Thurs: We sat all day except an hour to get lunch and saw nothing. On the way out we did jump 4 good sized bucks that ran past my dad and son just after shooting light. He said it was 2 8 points, a small buck, and a huge buck that had to be 10 points or more. We plan to focus on that area for the rest of the hunt and see if we can get one of them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Friday Update - My Son shot a small button buck this morning around 8:15 for his first deer ever. Then around 11:15 he shot a unicorn spike buck. Him and my dad are currently heading to the butcher. Myself and Step Son bumped 2 bucks on the way in this morning and he passed on the unicorn spike around 6:40 this morning.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
End of the day update. My son stopped hunting for the day after the unicorn buck but myself and my step son stayed out. He passed on a small doe about an hour before dark. Thats all we saw during the afternoon. Tomorrow the wind is supposed to be opposite of today and yesterday so we will see what happens with that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well no deer for my step son at John Heinz this year. My son shot the only 2 deer for this 3 days out of 12 hunters. Overall we had a good time and will apply again next year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts