The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

John Deere XUV 850D

961 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  454shooter 
#1 ·
Anyone have one? Do you like it? Pluses or minuses of this machine vs other side by sides? I like the idea of Diesel for longevity, power, and from what I have heard fuel economy.

#2 ·
Neighbor who built my pond just bought one and brought it down for me to see. Tremendous center of gravity. We were going horizontally around the steepest part of my pond and the wheels never hinted at picking up. Very good speed going up hill in 2hi(that's why I ended up selling my Kubota).

This guy is a major contractor who clears gas well lines thru National Forest and he takes his Jon Deere Gator when he travels for riding on these rough roads. Only thing I didn't care for is going downhill, you need to ride the breaks because it will just fly. Kubota RTV had excellent engine braking that would bring you to a complete standstill with your foot off the accelerator.

Just priced a 850D today with camo(special edition), roof, roof lights, plow, bedliner and bed lift for $14,675. You don't need to pay taxes if you're only using your UTV on your own property. Ask for the farm use exemption form and the dealer should explain it to you.

I'm also contemplating a Kawasaki 4010 Trans Mule 4 seater in diesel and camo. Different machines and both have their strong suites.

I'd stay away from Polaris(just read the message boards of all the problems) and Yamaha.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. Found one with the property care pkg for $11900. I also drove the gas model a couple days ago. The gas is much quieter (which I like)and didn't seem to have any difference in power. I suppose that would change with a full load of wood in the back.

#4 ·
I have a 2008 850D and like it. It is not fast but does great with everything I have done with it so far. Deere is coming out with a gas model that will do 44mph and has 50 hp. If you are considering gas then wait. The open clutch on the diesel makes it slip when going thru water but it hasn't been a big deal so far. Also, the diesel sips fuel.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.