The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was picking up leaves last night and my JDx304 just shut off. Fuses seem good I put a new battery in lights work but it just clicks one time when I turn the key. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,598 Posts
Seat switch bad?Jumper the terminals and see if it runs.It ain't the starter because that wouldn't shut it down.Check the fuses with a dvom.Eyeballs don't work.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a 265 and when the ignition coil went bad it would shut off after getting hot and not restart until completly cooled down. Not sure if that's much help as I don't remember it only clicking once when trying to start it would just spin till the battery died and not start until cooled.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I had to have my brother come give it a look. Old battery was definitely dead. Ground, OK. Fuses OK. He says did you disengage the mower?

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
My JD 318 was so bad my neighbor has a lawn mower repair business and he put me a starter button on because all would get was the click click, then nothing, works good now, still use the ignition key then push button start.It is an 18 horse Kohler....50 in deck...I think 1985...

·
Registered
779 Posts
RonM said:
My JD 318 was so bad my neighbor has a lawn mower repair business and he put me a starter button on because all would get was the click click, then nothing, works good now, still use the ignition key then push button start.It is an 18 horse Kohler....50 in deck...I think 1985...
Unless someone change the engine, the JD 318 came with an Onan engine.

The starter problem was due to the Jap starter solenoids were very touchy on voltage received from ignition switch. JD Dealer can supply a kit that is relatiely inexpensive to repair that problem and about 5 minutes to install.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Roscoe62 said:
Well I had to have my brother come give it a look. Old battery was definitely dead. Ground, OK. Fuses OK. He says did you disengage the mower?
That would prevent it from restarting but would not kill it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The first thing I would check is the safety kill switch under the seat. That will be your cheapest/easiest fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts