The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Just about everything you can do in a grape vineyard. Picking cherries. tomatoes, apples and of course grapes. Working in the hay fields.
Things kids could not do today because of the laws. I think it was around 15 I started working steady for one particular farmer doing anything that needed done from fencing to running a drag over the manure in the field and everything else in between.
Just saw the age brackets. At 18 I was working in a plastics shop and at 19 I was building Ford trucks in California, then the Army for a couple of years.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
- Picking tomatoes
- Planting, suckering/topping, cutting, spudding, hanging and stripping tobacco
- Hay and straw baling
- Pump Jockey
- Flipping burgers

Joined the USAF at 19, so I wouldn't be doing the above listed stuff forever.

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
Picking fruit
Hay and straw baling
Working after school in a hospital lab
Line supplier in a electrical manufacturer
Working in a scrapyard burning and cleaning electrical transformers for copper
And worked for Hertz Rental till I got drafted

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
I had a paper route but that was before I was 16.

I had a job setting up and breaking down tables and chairs and cleaning up after bingo and social affairs at the parish hall. i.e. Beef and Beers, etc. It was great job. Had a lot of fun doing it.

One summer I had job delivering free samples of laundry detergent. It was called "Drive." A Lever Brothers product. I don't think the product was very good.

I had a short term job working in a floor tile store. Lasted one hour. Me and the boss didn't get along.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Paper Boy
Thinned peaches and apples in an orchard
Surveyors helper on highway construction

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Started lawn work at 11
High school ,work for a vet and cleaned kennels
K-mart stock boy
Lighting mfg company stock room and spray painting lamp parts.
Real good paying job with Honeywell in maintenance at 20 and doing it for the last 35+years with other companies.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Worked on farms at 12..
cleaning out chicken house( shovel manure all day Sat.)
haul hay,
cultivate crops with a horse and walk behind cultivator
pick 5 acres of peppers,
hoe the garden
feed chickens
coal the stoves,
feed the animals
cut fodder
Neighbors would come and get me to help clean chicken houses, the normal rate was about .75 an hour , but they would always give me a 1.00 an hour..

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Helped a guy who painted houses. My job was sanding and scraping and then he let me paint garage doors, baseboards and window sash. Then I got a job on the labor gang at US Steel and after the second lay off joined the Marines. Best job was in the USMC; travel, fresh air, steady work and plenty of exercise but the chow was horrid.

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
12-16 worked summers at a boat livery at the Jersey shore
12-16 worked after school at Dads auto repair business.
16-17 during the winter worked loading trucks after school
18 till I was 21 USN

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
At the age of 15 I was mixing mud (plaster) in a steel box with a hoe, and carrying it in 5gal. buckets to the mason for 12 dollars a day. I worked weekends, some school holidays, and all summer vacation till I graduated high school...Then I got a real job.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Baled hay most summers as a kid, sometimes for profit, sometimes for food, sometimes because it needed done. Never had a paying job during the school year... between school, sports and 4-H, most days I was running around from 6am-9pm, then had homework. Started milking cows at 17 and did that the whole way through college, and still do that on the side a few times a week.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
SS date starts at 12.

Hay, farm work, in my spare time, unpaid. Working in the family business, blacktop - seal coating full time every summer and weekend in season, garage monkey in the winter. On the crew at 10, holding my own at 12, paid almost min wage by 16 working 60+ hour weeks were the norm. Graduated HS at 17, decided I didnt want to push blacktop, was told I could come back anytime, for a visit. Since I already knew how to puke from heat exhaustion and get yelled at for stuff others did at work and home, I went to Parris Island for a break. Turned 18 in boot. Pushed blacktop and painted houses on leave. Knew that the date on my watch was of some importance, then realized it was my 21st b day while I was troubleshooting launches on the flight deck of the Connie. Nice view, no beer.

·
4,295 Posts
12-16 Stepdad's carpet cleaners
16 -17 Fox's Pizza & McDonald's
17-20 Dad's pizza place
20-21 Cook for a catering company

In between worked installed swimming pools, did concrete , and detailed a lot of cars (good money there)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts