The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JM59, Muttleysgone and Loridr had a great hunt in South Carolina at Deerfield Plantation last week. The weather was great; cold the first three days, then warming the last two. As usual, the food and staff were fantastic, our guide Kevin putting us on the deer.

First morning JM59 (John) scored big, killing a nice 5 point and a real good 8.

First evening Muttley (George) and Loridr had some luck with Mutt killing a real good 8 and Lo a nice doe.

Second morning it was Lo and Mutt again with a spike and a 4 point.

Third day belonged to Loridr with a big cat in the morning and a big buck in the afternoon.

Everyone in camp saw rack bucks but it was tough shooting as the big boys were in full chase; however, everyone in camp killed deer and several other nice bucks were taken. The three amigos passed on numerous deer, including some decent bucks. Last two days the action really slowed down with the warmer weather moving in.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Saw your other 2 Hunt Threads up in Big Game forum reporting this hunt. Much congrats again & great pics there!!

Looks like one fine outfitter there per my read of their web page.

How far are they from Myrtle Beach???

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holler at me when you think you want to go, I'll hook you up. Happy to provide details as well if you're interested.

15 years hunting Deerfield for me now, I must like it.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
How quick do they fill up?? I am still very interested in this trip too.

Congrats on another great year down there fellas....looks like a fun hunt, great bucks. I would love to treat my Dad to this kind of hunt, just to tell him "THANKS" for all the Saturdays where he made me #1.

You know all the game that George has harvested around the world and to see a nice plump 4 point whitetail make him smile like that is good food for the HPA soul.
CONGRATS AGAIN guys on a great trip.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Got a link?

I sure would like to go when it is cooler out than hotter, even if the hunting season is really long in tooth by then and the bulk of deer are harvested for the year.

Only thing I think I would dislike about it is warm weather. I need to do some research.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rooster,

3rd week of October is generally fairly cool weather and is generally the best chance to catch the bucks walking. This year we had mid 40's overnight and afternoons in mid 60's first 3 days; mid 50's overnight and afternoon mid 70's last 2 days. That is typical end of October weather.

If you are set on later, you will more than likely see less deer overall, but year in and year out they kill a few of their best bucks post rut. Last season a friend of mine who is a corporate member killed an outrageous 15 point non-typical on the last day of the season, January 1st.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Found the site on websearch should of copied and pasted the link I guess..
...did you guys ever go later in the season? I see the season runs to 1/1.

Say go down after the PA gun season? Or would you advise against that?

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Thanks for the info...I type too slow..

I like to spread out my vacation thru the Fall best I can that is why I was thinking later in Dec. I do like that they have smaller packages then a week, in case i can;t save a whole week, i usually cut it close. Dad does not like to leave Mom alone for too long either...so sometimes a week is too much.

A southern plantation hunt under QDMA is something i want to experience to see if i like it. In my mind , it is something I would not mind get involved in from the "help run it" standpoint in my retirement years in the Carolina area...I mean it beats bocce ball in FL
even if i just get hunters too and from stands, etc..

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After going every year for 15 years, and having hunted the August 15th opener once, mid-September several times and the first week of October many times, I have settled on the 3rd week of October as the best chance to see rut activity and multiple bucks.

For those who can tolerate hot weather, the first two weeks of Sept are great. There is no doe shooting until Sept 15th so things have been quite and the deer are still on the green fields. Good time to see hogs as well before the acorns drop.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have only been down once later, 3rd week of November. We had rainy weather the entire hunt, the 3 of us saw very little and killed nothing. If I were going late, I'd opt for mid December for no other reason than the natural feed may be running low and the animals may come to the corn well. Post rut bucks are hungry.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I went last season and we are going back in 2010..hands down the best hunt I have ever been on. Hugh and his staff are world class and treat you like an old hunting buddy and not clients. The accomadations and food are out of this world and the hunting is awesome. I counted over 130 deer in a 6 day hunt, and 50 plus boar.
We went the first week of September, which was pretty hot yet, but still had good results. I would like to talk my buddies into the second week or third week of October for the coming year.
The guy I went with last year went back this season and him and his buddy were the only two in camp. They killed a bunch of deer and pigs and made me realize how much regret I had for not going this season...[censored] kids and disney world!!!
If you have any Questions, definitly hook up with Loridr, I talked to him before I went and his descriptions are spot on!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts