The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to using a jet outboard. I used to fish from an inboard jet bass boat. I now bought a boat with a 2002 Yamaha 40/30 jet.

Do I lock the outboard down while running up over rocks or do I leave it unlocked to absorb energy from hitting a rock?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Indeed unlocked. But remember when you try to throw it in reverse, it will just kick up out of the water and not slow you down at all or back up. When i was out in high water or at lakes i would leave it locked for this reason. One more benefit of a tunnel hull, it can stay locked.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I tried a running bit yesterday with the outboard unlocked. I swear it seem to run differently. Shouldn't there be some bolt that is designed to shear and let motor lift to absorb energy before the boot or transom suffers damage?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I never experienced a difference in running with it locked or unlocked performance wise. That being said, jet boats are fickle especially the smaller HP. as far as a shear, Well, they weren't designed that way, But i think on the small jets (40 hp and less) you could probably come up with something that would function like that. To be honest though when its completely unlocked and you hit hard, its bad enough with nothing stopping it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will experiment again today to see how much of a difference there is. It's a light boat with a smaller jet. I don't have the balls to run it all out through rocks until I have it insured. Even then I will be reluctant.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mercury must not have this feature, I don't see it on my motor. I've hit hard probably 20 times and it jumps up and sometimes stays in the up position running, so it's good to have the kill switch on to shut it down quickly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts