The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have a dehydrator what is the best way to make jerky in the oven? i already know how to get it sliced and seasoned.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
We always put two peices on a toothpic and hung the toothpics on the oven rack. Put the oven on like 160-180 and leave the door open a crack. Cook for 4-7 hours depending on your dryness level.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Just started marinating a batch to do like 171farm said. I dont like the ground stuff or using a dehydrator has a different texture. Will get it in the oven tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I freeze mine for a month, just to feel safe. I also do ground meat only as my little stomach (gastric bypass) does not do well with the full slice jerky. oven method works fine...but it's really easy to over-dry. once you get to 4 hours, i'd say start removing a piece every 10 mins and letting it cool then check for the right texture. you will go from moist and chewy to charcoal real quick if you aren't careful.

Once you know how your oven does...you can pretty much dial in a time.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
i do mine in the smoker

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have a batch marinating now. I dont bother freezing it if im gonna use it right away. I use cookie cooling racks and lay the jerky on them and then on the oven racks. Works very well and is much faster than hanging with toothpicks. Make sure to put a cookie sheet or tin foil on the bottom of the oven to catch all the drippings. It takes about 6hrs @ 170*

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I guess I forgot to add that we cut our jerky out into thin strips of meat, we dont use any ground meat. Never heard about freezing it. And yes some foil under the coils is a must or you will be scrubbing a bit

·
Registered
577 Posts
I freeze mine to make it easier to slice. You can buy a jerky rack for your oven.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/32030dryingracks.aspx
Also if you put it in a air tight container (to cool down) as soon as it is done it will help make it a little moist if not over done.
YES!
I know the point of making jerky is to take all the moister out so it will not spoil. Mine doesn't last long enought to spoil & I would rather have it a little moist.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does the oven method work better then a Dehydrater Machine? Got a batch soaking ... We have one of those machines for dehydrating fruits and veggies (never used it for meat) ... This is going to be the first batch

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nikdob said:
Does the oven method work better then a Dehydrater Machine? Got a batch soaking ... We have one of those machines for dehydrating fruits and veggies (never used it for meat) ... This is going to be the first batch
the recipe ive got for the oven says 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I dont know how long the dehydrator takes. make sure you check it alot in the dehydrator so it dosnt get over done and as hard as a brick,

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
I like to use the smoker, gives it a real nice taste. i use shore luch cajun jerky stuff, has just the right taste for me

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just put a batch in the oven about 15 minutes ago. its cured in a hickory blend I got at the store, the house is starting to smell like hickory.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Nikdob said:
Depending on the make of the dehydrator, it can take 12hours or more and you need to rotate the racks often as to not over dry the meat. The oven is much faster and you can dry much more at once.

My jerkey will be hitting the oven around 5:00 tonight.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nikdob said:
The only concern is if your machine get's warm enough, to properly kill the bacteria.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buk_Huntir said:
I have a batch marinating now. I dont bother freezing it if im gonna use it right away. I use cookie cooling racks and lay the jerky on them and then on the oven racks. Works very well and is much faster than hanging with toothpicks. Make sure to put a cookie sheet or tin foil on the bottom of the oven to catch all the drippings. It takes about 6hrs @ 170*
thanks for the cookie rack idea, it saved me some time today.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Scott M. said:
The only concern is if your machine get's warm enough, to properly kill the bacteria.
They DON'T And all who use a Dehydrator SHOULD Be Concerned about the out come that can happen from the Temp NOT Getting up there to kill those Nasty Bacterias!

Some do not know it but some BAD things can happen when the temp is not high enough and the meat does not get taken up to that temp...EVEN with the Use of Sodium Nitrite! MOST use the Excuse of what they THINK is the BEST Excuse..."I nor no one I have given jerky to has gotten sick off it from me making it in a Dehydrator", You just Been LUCKY so far...quit playing Russion Roulette with the stuff you make for yourself and family and friends to eat!

Things that can happen from the temp not being taken up over 155 degrees.....
Blindness
Puking your Guts out for a few days
Setting on the Toilet for a few days plus puking your guts out
and the worse thing that can happen...you pay a Visit or a family member or friend pays a visit to the local Embalmer and NEVER Gets to Shake his or her Hand!

Toss the Dehydrator out the window when thinking of using it to make things out of meat.. invest in a smoker that will take the temp of the meat up over 155 degrees... for the Best of yourself, Family and Friends that might eat what you make!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a dehydrator but I prefer the oven recipe I have.. Ill post the mixture and process after i put the kids to bed(wife is working)..Everybody I knows loves my jerky...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts