The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE NOT MADE VENISON JERKY IN 10 YEARS(I ATE TO MUCH AND MADE MYSELF SICK OF COURSE I MAY HAVE MIXED A BAG OF JERKY WITH TO MANY BEVERAGES AT A STEELER TAILGATE). BUT I GOT THE ITCH AGAIN. ANYWAY, I CANNOT FIND MY OLD JERKY RECIPE. SO WOULD ANYONE CARE TO SHARE THEIR SECRET RECIPE.
THANKS

·
Registered
579 Posts
SSSHHH! Don't tell anybody

slice meat to 1/8-3/16 thick
lay out 1 layer on table
sprinkle with:
lemon pepper
black pepper
McCormick Montreal steak seasoning (option use spicey)
beat with a meat hammer using the side with the points to drive the spices into the meat
Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce (La Choy)
1/2 cup worchestier?? sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1/2 cup liquid smoke (Wrights)
option a few dashes hot sauce

put a layer in nonmetallic container. Sprinkle with marinade & keep repeating until all meat is used. I use a large empty soy sauce bottle with top on to mix marinade & sprinkle on. Let set for 2-3 days. Then dry with prefered method

SSSHHHH! tell no one

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If you want to try a ground meat style I like this recipe:

5 pounds ground deer meat
5 tbsp Tenderquick
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
2 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp black pepper

Mix the meat with Tenderquick and allow to the mix to sit at least 8 hours.

Mix the remaining ingredients.

You then need to form the ground meat into 1” x 6” x ¼” strips. If you have a “jerky shooter” use the nozzle to form the meat. I have rolled out the meat between two pieces of aluminum foil then cut with a pizza cutter.

Dry the ground venison jerky in an oven, a dehydrator, or a smoker. Spray on a little vegetable oil to prevent sticking.

In a dehydrator, rotate the racks every hour until the ground venison jerky is dry. (Some dehydrators don’t require tray rotation. Follow the manufacturer’s directions) Figure on four to eight hours to complete. In the oven, set the temperature to 170-200 degree F. Leave the door cracked open to allow the moisture to escape.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So at 170 ... About 4 - 12 hrs in the oven ... How do you know when it is done is it does not over cook?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't know about how it feels in an oven but in a dehydrator I check every piece of jerky with a "pinch test" Just pinch it and if it's mushy it stays in there! I let it go unitl I can just barely squeeze it then take it out and let it on my table for an hour, throw it in a vacuum sealer bag and it's good to go!

5pounds of meat
2-10oz bottles LaChoy soy sauce
1 and a half bottles of Colgin liguid smoke
1 table spoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper(regular table pepper)
2 tablespoons of honey
1 oz of molasses
3-4 table spoons brown sugar

Marinade for 24 hours stirring meat to distribute marinade at 12 hour mark. I take mine out of the fridge and drain it. I then place it on a cookie sheet covered with paper towells and pat dry each piece. After I pat dry it I lightly coat it again with a pepper shaker. Load it into my Cabelas dehydrator and let it go on 155 degrees. I can usually do about 13 pounds of meat in 6 hours! God I love that Cabelas dehydrator. I also watch each tray and take off each piece as it get's done. I slice mine with a Hobart slicer and I still get uneven drying time. It all depends on the thickness and the density of the meat. take your time and don't be one of them guys that let it in the dehydrator for the entire 6-?? Hours and end up eating cardboard.

I have 4 hind quarters waiting on me right now
I cannot wait!

·
Registered
731 Posts
The more juice you have in the bowl the better the taste you will get. Some of these recipes seem a little dry. I usually have about 1 to one and a half cups of juice to throw away when I am done with a 5lb mix. Deer meat soaks it up like mad. Usually the meat is black when I put it in the dehydrator. I am going to try to take pics of this process. Give me some time, I have to find a new host for pics we can't use photobucket at work anymore they put a little E-lock on that! Jerks

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nikdob said:
So at 170 ... About 4 - 12 hrs in the oven ... How do you know when it is done is it does not over cook?
Trapper660 said:
I don't know about how it feels in an oven but in a dehydrator I check every piece of jerky with a "pinch test" Just pinch it and if it's mushy it stays in there! I let it go unitl I can just barely squeeze it then take it out and let it on my table for an hour, throw it in a vacuum sealer bag and it's good to go!
It never really takes more than 12hrs. At least not when I've done it. I do reach into the oven once an hour or once every 30 minutes. And just poke the meat with my finger. I keep checking it until it "feels" right. What's right? It should feel just like the commercial products you can buy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I keep checking it until it "feels" right. What's right? It should feel just like the commercial products you can buy. [/quote]

Keep in mind the meat is actually still drying after you take it out of the dehydrator or oven until it reaches room temp. That won't be much but it does make a difference. I dry mine to the point I can still squeeze it down but it is very resistant. After it cools you can feel the difference just sitting at room temp. Just how I do it, I am NOT saying anyone is wrong.

·
Administrator
31,057 Posts
To those who always thought about trying a jerky shooter and dehydrator;
For years I made my own jerky the old fashioned way, slicing clean red meat off the few pieces big enough to do so and then tossing what was left into the grinder. I realized that I was getting little jerky and lots of burger and became determined to try a shooter. In October I went shopping but with the thought in mind that this was basically an experiment and I wasnt going to spend big bucks on no experiment.
I had reason to be in a sporting goods store so I priced things out.
Dehydrator= $149.99
Big fancy 5lb. shooter= $79.99

I also had reason to be in another store that day where I found small appliances with the brand name "Oster", which I've always known to be of pretty decent quality.
Dehydrator= $34.98
Basic 2lb. shooter= $14.38

Hmmm, a $230 experiment, or a $50.00 experiment? Not exactly a difficult decision so, even though I hate the place, Walmart got my money.
How did it work out? I'm havin' a ball! 5lb.s of meat per batch just fills the dehydrator and four hours later (not twelve) I'm sittin behind the keyboard and munchin' while I'm postin'. The dehydrator also came with a two page list of fruits and veggies that can be dried.
So there ya have it. Spend the fifty bucks at Wallyworld and have some fun!

Disclaimer:
Be careful not to have too much fun all at once. I now have enough banana chips to feed all the monkeys in the Philly Zoo for a year or two.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I got my NESCO, American Harvest dehydrator with the 500W top mouted fan at WallyWorld a few years ago for like $34. I got my BPE jerky shooter on clearance at Dick's years ago for $9.99. About 4 hrs for a batch of jerky. Apple slices with cinnamon sugar...........uuuummmmm.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
sliced pineapple dipped in sugarfree jello powder...oh dear LORD tasty snacks to go with that jerky. I love my jerky shooter!

·
Registered
838 Posts
OK DIYASUB!

You talked me into it. Im going to wally world this weekend to try your experiment! DARN YOU! I've never tried making jerkey before so any pointers would be appreciated. also im partial to BBQ flavor. Any suggestions there? Again DARN YOU DIYASUB,,,DARN YOU!

·
Administrator
31,057 Posts
Bwa hah hah hah hah! My evil plan is working!

The brand name on the shooter and the dehydrator is Oster. Look for it in the same aisle as where the toasters live. It'll probably be on the top shelf next to the vegetable steamers that were a big fad three years ago.
The box the shooter comes in has a half a dozen packets of seasonings. Try one out on your first batch and after that get creative.
The meat needs to be fine ground to go through the shooter. Use high quality meat and you'll get a high quality product when you're done. Clean venison with no silver muscle and no fat. The same goes for beef, round steak or flank, they're both low in fat.

·
Registered
838 Posts
10-4. I take it i better grind my burger up at least twice to get it through the shooter. Again I guess its all about trial and error.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts