The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started making Jerky and are using pre package packets. One issue is I keep getting a white mold after about two days in fridge. Is this potentially from not letting it air dry when it comes out of the smoker? Or air dry enough?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have seen jerky get moldy like you described, but that's after 2 weeks or more, not 2 days. Sounds to me like you aren't drying all of the moisture out of the jerky. The mold is harmless, just make a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 lemon juice and wipe it off.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I always let my jerky sit out at least overnight spread out in a large baking pan to allow it to dry after it's done. I'll then put it in a Zip-Lok bag. I also never put mine in the fridge. If it's well salted and dried, no need to refrigerate.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks the new batch turned out pretty good. I let it sit out longer and it seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I personally keep the vent open on my smoker, closing it traps moisture and sometimes makes the meat taste wired. Also I store jersey in ziplock bags in the freezer if it's made good you can take it out and eat it without breaking a tooth. I ruined a bit of meat before perfecting my method but there's a lot of good tips on smokingmeatforum to avoid waste. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Are you putting meat right out of the smoker in a zip lock bag and sealing it then putting it in the fridge ?
Could be a condensation issue.
Need to let meat cool down and dry out before putting it in a ziploc.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
x2 ^

freeze wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Pull out and put in brown bag in fridge when ready to eat. will last 2 weeks like this. Ditto for sticks and bologna to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts