The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I want to get started in making the ground version of beef/deer jerky. I have no issues at all with making whole muscle jerky as I have a nice Hobart slicer and the cabelas commercial dehydrator(WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER ONE!!!) but with as much jerky as my family eats and the fact none of us really care for deer burgers.... This seems like a great option. So I am asking for some advise on models, recipes and so on. I love the recipe I have for my whole jerky but think it would be too much liquid for the burger version. PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, This was supposed to be in the Game Recipe thread I guess...

·
Registered
303 Posts
the wife's supershooter cookie press worked for me.i'm trying eastman outdoors hickory jerky cure.i made their breakfast sausage yesterday and it real good.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Nesco has a number of jerky seasonings that work well. Personally I prefer the adouille (sp) sausage.

Mix cure with meat...leave in the fridge overnight.....add flavor seasoning and shoot out of a jerky shooter, (sticks hold together better than strips). If the shooter is having a lot of trouble pushing the meat mixture out, add some water to the meat.

Dehydrate for ~ 6 hours. Ummmmmm......

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the skinny on the cure? I have been making whole muscle jerky for years and never bothered with it. I use my own recipe consisting of Soy sauce, liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder,brown sugar, molasses, honey and pepper. I always thought the soy sauce had more than enough sodium in it... Most of the time the jerky is gone quickly. How do you guys keep jerky long term?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fantastic shipping and response from Gander mountain. Got the jerky cannon yesterday! Vary happy with the overall look, feel and rigidness of the products. Only thing is I got 2 sets of brushes.. Thought it was only supposed to come with one set.. BONUS!

Today I ordered 2 packs of high mountain seasoning. One is cracked pepper and garlic and the other is a sweet / spicy. Cant wait to get the seasonings and try this out!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i've used the high mountain brand for at least ten years. everyone loves it. try the original first. there are quite a few different flavors. I buy it at my grocery store. just make sure you pay attention to the two different directions. one is for ground meat. it's pretty simple. I also tried the jerky cannon and found with the amount of jerky that I make, the rolling pin on wax paper method is much more efficient and less clean up. Also when you have your venison ground make sure it is as lean as possible. No fat whatsoever.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i make "extruded" jerky all the time, my recipe for 4 lbs of LEAN meat (trimmed of ALL fat before double grinding):

2/3 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1.5 tbls each of onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, fresh ground black pepper, 15 "dashes" liquid smoke, and 2tbls morton TQ. add enough water to the mix to fill a pint ball jar to the bend, shake well with lid on, remove lid and microwave on high JUST to boiling. replace lid and let sit till cools, shaking occasionally. My thought is that the heat releases and "homogenizes" the mixture. add cool mixture to cold meat in a large bowl and mix well. let sit for 24 hours in fridge, covered tightly (i place plastic wrap ON the meat int he bowl and also cover with tightly sealed plastic, mixing once during the 24 hour cure. i then pipe out into the dehydrator and process until done. if you overdo the drying, you can attempt recovery by placing the jerky in a plastic bag with a couple slices of fresh bread.

Some folks say a dehydrator doesn't get hot enough. Mine gets up to 180 inside and maintains this temp throughout the process and the meat gets to, and maintains a temp of 175 or so for a good 2 hrs. this cooks the nasties...

Enjoy

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I am not mistaken I think my dehydrator only goes up to 160 degrees.... I already have 11 pounds mixed with 6 lbs being mixed with the cracked pepper garlic mix and 5 lbs being the hot and spicy mix. I will be putting it in the cannon tonight. It seems as though the meat is very sticky.. Do you guys add more water than what the high mountain mix calls for to make it easier to extrude??

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
as far as dehydrators go. I noticed that some of them out there on the market don't have fans. that's something that you definitely want to look for. you need a fan

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont have any trouble my dehydrator at all. That thing is a beast and has a great fan. You are right though a fan is a really really big help.

I ended up making jerky and sticks and didnt have any problems with either product. The gun worked really good. WAY better than the old plastic jobs. No air popping and meat flying everywhere. SOLID product and would defianetly buy another one.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Takemrarely said:
Nesco has a number of jerky seasonings that work well. Personally I prefer the adouille (sp) sausage.

Mix cure with meat...leave in the fridge overnight.....add flavor seasoning and shoot out of a jerky shooter, (sticks hold together better than strips). If the shooter is having a lot of trouble pushing the meat mixture out, add some water to the meat.

Dehydrate for ~ 6 hours. Ummmmmm......

I have made jerky for many years (both muscle and ground meat) with mixed results until I finally developed recipes I truly enjoy. Last year I purchased the Nesco shooter and jerky seasonings and I must say they are very, very good. I would highly recommend this system.

Good luck, John

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have the LEM Jerky Cannon and a NESCO dehydrator. I use a recipe close to yours. T.Q., liquid smoke, garlic pwdr., onion pwdr., black pep., red pep. soy sauce, worcester, honey, brown sugar, and a little water. I use the round nozzle and make sticks, about 2 lbs a week. It's fresher that way. Big guns are way better then those plastic shooters.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts