The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far this year, I canned 7 pints and 12 1/2 pints of red raspberry.

7 1/2 pints of black raspberry

24 1/2 pints of plum (from my tree)

and am making mulberry this morning. Should get (7) 1/2 pints

Anyone else make jelly?

I give them as Christmas gifts to friends and family each year. Still have peach and blackberry to go!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
sorry Gal...i can't seem to find the "submit" button where I put my address to be added to your Christmas list?

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
Well gal, summer on a farm leaves little time for prcessing jelly when there farming to do, and canning veggies. We freeze the barries and wait until some really cold rainy day in late autumn or winter, and then make jelly. In fact, on New Years day of 2008, we made about a dozen pints of blueberry jam. We don't eat enough jelly to be worthwhile making much. I found some Lime marmalade in the bottom of the pantry that I made in 2006. (I bought 80 lbs of limes for $4 at the produce auction) Last night, I caught my wife and daughter eating some of the rasberries we froze.

In fact, last night at the produce auction, Mrs. bought a flat of peaches for $5.00. really good ones. And a bushel of apples, three heads of cabbage, a case of carrots, and I don't remember what else.

We dry some of the stone fruit in a dehydrator for winter consumption. Cherries, plums, peaches etc.

I got 20 pounds of fresh ginger root at the auction for 25 cents. yep 1.2 cents a pound, Maybe add some zing to the jelly.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zim,

I froze the mulberries several weeks ago, and since today was rainy, I took the time to make it. Going to whip another batch of plum out today too if I can get motivated enough to go get more sugar!

I got 11 jars from the mulberry, and stained hands.

Where in the heck are these produce auctions? I just may have to get to one of them!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,

If I get reminded, I may donate some to the HPA bash in September!

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
Zim,

I froze the mulberries several weeks ago, and since today was rainy, I took the time to make it. Going to whip another batch of plum out today too if I can get motivated enough to go get more sugar!

I got 11 jars from the mulberry, and stained hands.

Where in the heck are these produce auctions? I just may have to get to one of them!
Famersville, Lancaster County. My sister used to live very close by. She got tremendous buys, like 10 cents apiece for cantaloupes.

Everybody head out there and bid up the prices! I hate to see the farmers get such low amounts for their work.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have great bacon at the Amish store in Farmersville. I could eat pounds of that stuff!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Hey Gal, there is another auction between kittanning and new Beth...i need to look at a map and see if I can find it. My MIL and her beau go there every thursday...

Just called her...it's in Dayton, off of 28 towards and eventually through Belknap and technically it's a livestock auction, but they have TONS of produce and other edibles. Last week they got like 10 lbs of lebanon bologna for 5 bucks...which they froze and I'll undoubtedly get some for xmas

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much closer to home! Appreciate that!

·
Administrator
28,384 Posts
Still a month away up where I'm at, but you guys oughta be gettin' close to elderberry pickin' time.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If ya could find any in the South West!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
In the last year I've done batches of Strawberry, Fox Grape, Blackberry, and Elderberry. Depending on harvest size, I sometimes do blueberry as well.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get burned when I do blueberry.

I also learned to NEVER make blueberry into shine! It explodes and everything turns blue for 30 feet!!

·
Administrator
28,384 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
I get burned when I do blueberry.

I also learned to NEVER make blueberry into shine! It explodes and everything turns blue for 30 feet!!
I doubt that's how the Blue Man group got started.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blueberry wine is one of my very favorites!

I had to get a NWTF Jakes sippy cup last time I had some of that and it was home made!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts