The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made corn cob jelly for the first time today with the cobs from corn I got at a local farm stand. Unfortunately I ran into a problem. My jelly did not thicken. Followed the recipe of 1:1 corn juice and sugar with 2 tsp lemon juice per 3 1/2 cups juice and 1 pack pectin.
Was wondering what went wrong and can I put is all back into a pot, reboil and add more pectin???

Thanks to all who respond

·
Registered
476 Posts
My bride said to look at Thermflo... Look it up online as she is not for sure. I will ask a couple of the local ladies here who can extensively.

Chaos USMC

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
My mom and dad were dedicated to making home made Elderberry jam - it never (ever) set-up unless they added more pectin than was called for in the ingredients.
Try adding more pectin to a small portion of your batch to see if this is the answer to the problem. Do not do the whole batch until you are sure this is the fix.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use 1 1/4 packs of pectin for all of the jelly I make. I have had the same problem before when I only used 1 pack.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. I took 4 of the pints and reboiled then added 2 more packs of pectin, then back to the water bath. No better. Has not jelled. Going to let them sit for a few weeks to see if any change. On a positive note I made 12 pints of grape jelly yesterday and turned out well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts