The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's vehicle is a 2009 Jeep Patriot. It is the 2.4 L with CVT tranny. We recently bought a hitch to tow a small (4x6 or so) trailer, mostly for when we go camping or for stuff around the house. My question is whether we need to install an engine cooler to keep the engine from overheating? My understanding is that there already is a tranny cooler (?) b/c of the CVT. Some sources that I have read recommend an engine cooler as well. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The engine already has a cooler in the form of the radiator. An engine oil cooler shouldn't be necessary but that could change depending on weight. If you have a tranny cooler that would be fine and probably more important than an engine oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I can't see why any additional engine cooling should be necessary with that small a trailer. My Tractor Supply steel 4'x6' trailers weighs roughly 250lbs. I've towed it just fine with a few different cars over the years, even with an ATV on it. I would assume that your Patriot can haul it just fine with a small amount of camping gear. But...,I have read some less than flattering reviews about the Patriot, so maybe I shouldn't be assuming anything about them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts