The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out my grandson got drawn for javelina. If you have never hunted them and I would imagine few here have they are are not as easy as some may lead you to believe. Their eyesight is not as good as deer or coyotes but their hearing and nose is on par with anything out there. I stopped hunting them many years ago as we can’t find a good way to cook them and we tried it all different ways. Once did some on the grill and it was so bad that even our dog would not eat it. The last two or three I killed I gave away to a monastery down here. They at times will come into a call but most times we would just go up a ways on the hill and just glass, once found it becomes a stalk hunt.

They blend in pretty good with our terrain. If you didn't know what your looking for you wouldn't know that there is a javelins there.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I see it, rocks or logs don't have fur. >:) I don't know much about them but I thought I might like to hunt them sometime. I do know they have some kind of stink gland that must be removed before you can eat them.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see it, rocks or logs don't have fur. >:) I don't know much about them but I thought I might like to hunt them sometime. I do know they have some kind of stink gland that must be removed before you can eat them.

Scent gland is on their back and pulls off easy when you skin them. Always had a double tree in the truck, would find a tree that I could hang it in then skinned and butchered in the field. A cooler with frozen water jugs keep the meat cool on the ride home.

If you ever want to come out let me know and I'll help best I can. It's a draw so ya got to get lucky to get a tag.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I appreciate that, I have been thinking about coming out that way to take a pronghorn before it is too late to do so. If I do I will pm you.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
359 Posts
Seems to me when I was in Sedona a couple years ago I asked a guy about them and he told me whatever the Mexicans do to them they can make them decently edible but was unaware of what that was.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate that, I have been thinking about coming out that way to take a pronghorn before it is too late to do so. If I do I will pm you.
Pronghorn tags in our area are far and few between. But we do have some small scattered herds. Coyotes play havoc on the young ones.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Got drawn for the General Hunt for 37A, sent application for second tag also in Unit 37A for the HAM Hunt. Always hunt the North side of the Tortolita Mountains. It's a nice area up there and it is also close to home.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I've taken them in Texas and Mexico. The one standing up and skinning it if officially measured may be a muzzleloader record, took it with the flintlock in Texas. Easy to measure just like a bear, skull length + width rounded up to nearest 16th. After drying time I conservatively measured it by rounding down. I got 14 13/16, the current record was 14 12/16, number two 14 11/16, number three was a good bit below that.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,531 Posts
I was recently talking with a coworker who lives in Tuscon. I mentioned that I would like to hunt Javelina sometime if I'm out there, because I assumed they tasted like wild pig. She looked at me like I was nuts, then told me that they're horrible tasting. I never knew about the scent gland on them. Learn something new all the time.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
576 Posts
When a Javelina is aggravated they leave a musty type smell from their scent glands and you can smell that scent prior to even seeing them. While hunting them in the past, I have smelled them and never even saw them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts