The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Japanese Stiltgrass is becoming very common in my area (Centre and Clinton). It really takes over, blanketing large areas.

One guy said "It will cover the earth!" Are you seeing it much in other parts of PA?

It seems to be mostly in forested areas, but is also spreading from the woods into grassy fields. It is very common alongside forest roads, jeep trails, etc.

Does anyone have any experiences in controlling it, either in forest or grass field situations?

By mowing? Or herbicides? Or other options?

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
We’ve had that stuff forever here in Berks.

I honestly didn’t know it was an invasive species till your post.

It seems to live in specific spots where I hunt and hasn’t really changed much in the 20-ish years I’ve been hunting the property I currently hunt. Mostly more open spots with a lot of shade is where we see it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you use clethodim to kill grasses in your clover plots, it will kill stiltgrass. Catch it before it seeds. If you don't like chemicals, pull it by hand.

Reactions: Laylow

·
Registered
880 Posts
Usually end of July beginning of August. Treatment should be done sooner then later. It's a hard seed and can stay in the ground a few years before germination.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually end of July beginning of August. Treatment should be done sooner then later. It's a hard seed and can stay in the ground a few years before germination.
I've read various things about when they produce seed, some saying generically "late summer" and some saying August or September.

I'm a little surprised that it seeds as early as late July, but that is very good to know.

Thanks again. The information on stiltgrass on the web comes from all over the US. Nothing beats local PA info!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
This stuff is nasty. It's creeping out of the woods into my yard. I've been fighting it for years. Only way to get rid of it is pull it out or kill everything. And that doesn't work. Like CWD it's here to stay.
Guy that figures out how to kill it and let everything else live will make millions.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This stuff is nasty. It's creeping out of the woods into my yard. I've been fighting it for years. Only way to get rid of it is pull it out or kill everything. And that doesn't work. Like CWD it's here to stay.
Guy that figures out how to kill it and let everything else live will make millions.

On public land near where I live, they mow the flat top of an embankment regularly, probably almost weekly, during the growing season. That frequently mowed area has thriving grasses like a typical lawn, with little to no stiltgrass.

Directly on both sides of that are slopes too steep to mow with a tractor, which they probably just hit with trimmers only once in awhile. Those areas are totally covered with a near monoculture of stiltgrass.

But it doesn't seem to spread into the regularly mowed area.

At that site at least, it looks like regular, close mowing keeps the stiltgrass suppressed.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Hope you are right troutbert gonna frost seed a few areas with clover and keep mowed this summer. See how it goes.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Typically DO Not mow siltgrass.
Most times you will just spread it.
They make Pre Emergent herbicide to spray before it sets seed.
Also a few selective Post Emergent herbicides out there.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new crop of stiltgrass is up. I first noticed it about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Has anyone ever tried an herbicide called Acclaim for stiltgrass?

It supposedly kills stiltgrass, crabgrass, goosegrass and a few other undesirable grasses, but does not kill desirable grasses or broadleaf plants.

I haven't used it and haven't seen it used, so can't recommend it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it, and if so what results you've seen.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone seen the stiltgrass producing seeds yet this year?

Here in Centre & Clinton) I have not seen any seeds forming yet.

But it will be soon. Penn State extension says it usually produces seeds from about the last week in August through the second week in September.

It's a good idea to kill the stiltgrass before it produces seeds. If this is done several years in a row, hopefully the seed supply in the soil will be reduced, so less will come up.

People who don't like using herbicides just mow it very low to the ground. With a string trimmer it can be cut VERY low.

I've seen a few logging operations where they planted ryegrass or a mix of ryegrass and some other plants after the logging operation and that competed reasonably well with the stiltgrass.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
For lawns you can use a crabgrass killer with Fenoxaprop p ethel in it. Bayer Crabgrass killer for lawns or BioAdvanced extreme crabgrass killer with fenoxaprop. Other crab grass killer that has some sort of salt in the first ingredient WILL NOT WORK.
Comes in a bottle to attach to hose. I had 50-50 success which I think is due to amount of product dispersed in the hose spry. One part of the lawn its dead and a swath next to it is green.
For killing it in flower beds without hurting most plants I found that Ortho Grass B Gone with Fluazifop-P-Butyl works well but will also kill grass if your not careful.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Has anyone seen the stiltgrass producing seeds yet this year?

Here in Centre & Clinton) I have not seen any seeds forming yet.

But it will be soon. Penn State extension says it usually produces seeds from about the last week in August through the second week in September.

It's a good idea to kill the stiltgrass before it produces seeds. If this is done several years in a row, hopefully the seed supply in the soil will be reduced, so less will come up.

People who don't like using herbicides just mow it very low to the ground. With a string trimmer it can be cut VERY low.

I've seen a few logging operations where they planted ryegrass or a mix of ryegrass and some other plants after the logging operation and that competed reasonably well with the stiltgrass.
I read some info that if you always mow or cut low ,eventually they will seed with grass short. I have in in my lawn for years thinking it was crabgrass and when it finally spread to flower beds and side yard ,that's when I found out all about this stuff.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read some info that if you always mow or cut low ,eventually they will seed with grass short.
I've read similar things. But I'm pretty sure that is referring to if you mow it in the middle of the growing season, like in June or July.

If you cut right now, this late in the year, and cut it low to the ground with a weed wacker, I think that will prevent it from seeding. Because it is near the end of its growing season.

Because it's an annual, it will die completely this fall. There is no living root system over winter as with perennial grasses.

Next year's "crop" of Stiltgrass will come entirely from seeds. Which is why it is so important to prevent seed production now.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Its possible to get rid of stiltgrass. But it will take 7 years. If you mow stilt grass it will begin to seed shorter. Mowing only spreads it. I see this in the state forest all the time. It does not get high so don't mow it.

If you spray it you must do that BEFORE it seeds. Thw spray will not distroy the seeds. If its already seeded all your doing is killing that plant till next spring when it will come right back.. I see that a lot as well. Waste of time and money achieving nothing. You must spray it before it seeds. But remember that there are seeds already in the ground from prior years. They can germinate up to seven years. So you have to spray PRIOR to the stiltgrass going to seed for seven years to really be rid of it.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The seeds are developing now. I saw this for the first time yesterday and again today.

You could probably still wack it with a weed torch and destroy the seeds before they drop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts