The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found quite a few Japanese Beetles just his week. They seem to be on a lot of berry plants and my peonies. Anyone else seeing more than usual? I try to check the plants several times a day and shake the beetles into a pail with a small amount of water. Then toss them in the pond for the bluegills to eat. At least I hope they are eating them.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I mow the disc golf course at Lime Bluff Recreation Area ans the trees are loaded this year! Last week I brushed under a limb and 1 fell on my head and crawled inside my ear! Had a heck of a time getting it out of the ear canal and the pain was awful as it tried to go thru the ear drum!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a lot more this year than normal. I used the Bayer dust on them and it does work but have to do it every few days. I have been hand picking some of them and the fish seem to love them. The crows used to patrol my lawn everyday and we didn't have as many then. Is there any bird or other insect that would control them?

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
I used to pick them off plants and fish for trout with them. Just hook them and put a bobber on and fish away.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been using the Bayer dust. Do you think it kills them or does it just keep them away for a day or two? I have a few bull frogs in my pond and I get the beetles wet in a pail and toss them in. They don't fly once they get water on them and the frogs wait for me to toss them in. Just time consuming to go around and collect them

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
hacimsaalk said:
I have been having problems the last week or so as well. Everything got a nice dusting of seven and problem disappears.
The dust they sell today feeds em.This suff is a joke.Same with Wasp sprays.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Seven huh? Thanks for the tip. I have just been setting baited beetle traps and changing the bags every 3 or 4 days. It's really bad this year.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
good ole boy said:
hacimsaalk said:
I have been having problems the last week or so as well. Everything got a nice dusting of seven and problem disappears.
The dust they sell today feeds em.This suff is a joke.Same with Wasp sprays.
I beg to differ. I had 0 beetles left after dusting everything. A week or so later I'm still bug free. And for what it's worth, my dad who has held a pesticide/herbicide license for the last 20 some years uses the stuff almost exclusively.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts