The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heading out this fine Friday? Looks like beautiful weather the next two days in Western PA. I'm looking to take advantage of it and see if I can put some venison in the freezer with my flintlock. Good luck to all who make it out.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I just came back in from sitting this morning in a blind. Jumped a bunch going in. It was like walking on glass it was so loud. The last few days we've been pushing dmap property's to fill tags. We put up a real nice buck yesterday on one of the drives but it never got out of 5th gear to offer a shot to the posters. I'll sit on the corn tonight and see if that 8 comes up to feed before dark.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Was out from 615-830 this morning and 3 until just now this afternoon. Saw 3 big doe at 40yds this morning and 3 yealings and a large doe at same range this afternoon. Also saw the biggest red fox Ive ever seen this morning at 750. It came in to 20yds and drank from a puddle on the trail for about 5mins but i couldnt get a clear shot at it.Still holding out for a buck that cams show are still around. Calling for rain here this evening through tomorrow evening so if that holds Ill be out monday AM

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got home. I saw 4 does, 2 running and 2 too far for a shot. I saw one big wide buck but he was too far out and walking away. Hopefully I will have bettrr luck Monday (rain all day tomorrow).
Kevin

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Went out at 1:00. Weather was beautiful and made sitting in my late 1700's outfit comfortable. At 4:00 i had 4 doe come in and stop at 65 yds. The big mature doe that was leading the group stopped under a hemlock and was trying to make me out. The one 1 1/2 year old trotted out front and stopped behind another hemlock. The other two 1 1/2 yr olds stood facing me in the shooting lane. The mature doe was getting antsy and i figured her next move would send them all running off. So, i picked the farthest one of the two in the shooting lane that looked the biggest. Since she was facing me i held at the base of the neck and touched off the Bedford Co flint i built a couple yrs ago. The prb went true as i knew it would with this rifle and she dropped where she stood. Pics once i get home to puter and download the camera

·
Registered
55 Posts
Went out at 1:00. Weather was beautiful and made sitting in my late 1700's outfit comfortable. At 4:00 i had 4 doe come in and stop at 65 yds. The big mature doe that was leading the group stopped under a hemlock and was trying to make me out. The one 1 1/2 year old trotted out front and stopped behind another hemlock. The other two 1 1/2 yr olds stood facing me in the shooting lane. The mature doe was getting antsy and i figured her next move would send them all running off. So, i picked the farthest one of the two in the shooting lane that looked the biggest. Since she was facing me i held at the base of the neck and touched off the Bedford Co flint i built a couple yrs ago. The prb went true as i knew it would with this rifle and she dropped where she stood. Pics once i get home to puter and download the camera
Congratulations!! Looking forward to pics! I'm going out tomorrow with a buddy.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Here are the pics from 4pm Friday. In the one you can see the entrance wound of the .50 cal prb. She never took a step. Smokey II will put the ball right where I want it. In this case, as I said earlier, 65 yds (lazed) facing head on to base of neck. Other is of one of the outfits I was wearing on this trip.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts