The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to head in. It’s far and straight down hill. It’s the one spot however where I have seen at least one deer everytime down in there since archery season. If I get one the drag is going to be torture. Good luck to everyone going out today.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Getting ready to head in. It’s far and straight down hill. It’s the one spot however where I have seen at least one deer everytime down in there since archery season. If I get one the drag is going to be torture. Good luck to everyone going out today.
Take a pack and bone it out.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had my 3rd buck in shooting range about 30 minutes ago. Saw a deer up on the hill but couldn’t see it’s head. Put the stalk on and while I was looking out in front of me I caught him out of the corner of my eye on the side hill about 50 yards away standing broadside. Looked like a big 10 point. Found his bed and a rub line coming from it. I will be back in a few months to look for his sheds and I will definitely be back in archery. Saw 4 other doe but couldn’t get a shot. Been the story of my flintlock season so far.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Had my 3rd buck in shooting range about 30 minutes ago. Saw a deer up on the hill but couldn’t see it’s head. Put the stalk on and while I was looking out in front of me I caught him out of the corner of my eye on the side hill about 50 yards away standing broadside. Looked like a big 10 point. Found his bed and a rub line coming from it. I will be back in a few months to look for his sheds and I will definitely be back in archery. Saw 4 other doe but couldn’t get a shot. Been the story of my flintlock season so far.
Thats a good problem to have!! Im having the opposite issue. Im having doe after doe in range, but i know there are a few legal bucks running around here on my property, even in daylight hours, but i cant seem to meet up with any!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Same problem here too Steel, i have had nothing but bucks in range even in range for a bow while the doe are out of range or wont come out of the pines for a shot.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I did some hunting from the house this morning. I don't hunt the property so as soon as rifle comes in they congregate around my house. Had four doe outside the door and convinced my three year old to let me shoot one because she wants me to "teach her how to cut it up", but then it didn't offer a good shot. Just as I let down, 3 YO starts screaming and three buck run across the yard behind me. Till everything was said and done I'd seen five buck and at least four, maybe six. Not one of the five bucks had brow tines but one was a pretty nice four point. Not my typical type of hunting but I still get a kick out of it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Well, I promised myself I would wait for a buck but at about 8am I heard deer coming. Pretty frosty and loud this morning. Three deer came into view about 60 yards out. All doe. I didn't shoot. Then a forth deer came into view and was walking toward me. It seemed a big doe, but with the downhill view it was tough to tell. A friend (that has killed more deer than Chevrolet's have )told me last Oct. that the best way to know if your looking at a big mature deer is to look at the face. He said a mature doe will have a long face. Long jaw and nose. He's right, and its easier than just judging size of a moving deer. This one had the long face. I shot her at about 30 yards. So much for my buck tag.

The PRB took both lungs. She ran about 50 yards and piled up. That's three flintlock does for me this season. So I'm done and happy with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
. Im having doe after doe in range, but i know there are a few legal bucks running around here on my property, even in daylight hours, but i cant seem to meet up with any!

Scraper you got more will power than me by a long shot. :smile_big:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Well trust me that will power is getting REAL thin!!!! Only thing keeping it going is with the extended season here in SE. SRA i have time left to score on a buck. I have a doe tag left addition to my unused buck tag, but promised a customer i would get over and try to take a landscape eating doe, but that place is with my crossbow only and she only wants doe taken. Have a few days planned there next week to get that done.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I wish I had your problems, Here in North Schuylkill County I have only seen 3 small doe running flat out, Running out of time. Not many deer left up here .

Good luck Stant

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had to leave the woods at 1pm. Wife forgot about a dentist appointment she had. Pretty frustrating because they were up and feeding early in some of the fields on the way home. Saw a buck and 6 doe today with no shots. Also saw a couple big gobblers. I have only one morning left and that will be a wrap for the season.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Well, I promised myself I would wait for a buck but at about 8am I heard deer coming. Pretty frosty and loud this morning. Three deer came into view about 60 yards out. All doe. I didn't shoot. Then a forth deer came into view and was walking toward me. It seemed a big doe, but with the downhill view it was tough to tell. A friend (that has killed more deer than Chevrolet's have )told me last Oct. that the best way to know if your looking at a big mature deer is to look at the face. He said a mature doe will have a long face. Long jaw and nose. He's right, and its easier than just judging size of a moving deer. This one had the long face. I shot her at about 30 yards. So much for my buck tag.

The PRB took both lungs. She ran about 50 yards and piled up. That's three flintlock does for me this season. So I'm done and happy with that.
That is a good doe, congrats.

Reactions: Buckskin Dave
1 - 20 of 24 Posts