The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a long season. After messing up a couple of opportunities in archery season and seeing very few deer during the rifle season things finally worked out.

With my daughter now a freshman at Penn State, high school football and winter baseball using most of my sons time it looked like my freezer would go empty this year. The two of them usually do a good job at keeping us stocked with venison.

Yesterday, January 19th proved to be lucky again. I was fortunate enough to harvest this respectable seven point with archery equipment. The deer came into my area following four does in the mid-afternoon. He presented a 32 yard shot.

Two seasons ago it looked like my son, 14 at the time was going to strike out on a buck that year. As it turned out he took this very nice 8 pt. with a flintlock on the 19th of January also. It's good to know there are still some bucks sporting antlers this late in the season.

It's funny how just about when you are ready to give up and put your equipment away for the season your luck changes. Well now it is time to crack out the ice fishing gear.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
So, you can still take a Buck with a bow or muzzleloader in Bucks and Allegheny counties ? I thought it was antlerless only now that the late bow/muzz season is out. Clue me in.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Right from the digest Fleroo, all ya gotta do is read

DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 26. One antlered deer per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, Antlerless (WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 26. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

DEER, ARCHERY (Antlered and Antlerless) WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D: Jan. 14-26. One antlered deer per hunting license year. One antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Congrats to the both of you, your archery buck does look like he's been wearing a bridle and rode hard.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I'll be derned. Not only Allegheny County, but ALL of 2B. Certainly news to me. Stupid though. Why not let the anlterless persist, but shut off the Buck to that extended time ? I REALLY hope they redraw the 2B bounds like they are proposing at the Jan. BOC meeting.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, he is a bit disfigured. I hung him overnight by a rope bridle that I tied. That's how I drag him. Sure made him look strange. My brother is a taxidermist and he asked me for the cape. A lot of his customers bring deer to him with spoiled hides so he likes to keep some extras on hand. I hope I didn't damage this one.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Nice one, congrats

·
Registered
895 Posts
Fantastic....AWESOME

1 - 19 of 19 Posts