The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
:crying:As the saying goes," THERE IS NO SENSE IN BEING STUPID UNLESS YOU SHOW IT!" The driving rain that woke me early last night, along with the wind howling seemed a reason to pass this morning. The young guy who bowhunts the same farm texted he had 2 doe go past him just after daylight but out of his comfort range. (This is where the stupid comes in) The doe headed directly down the draw to where I would have been sitting and would have been an easy shot... it had not rained there, and the wind was light....AAAHHHH!!!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
man i just can't catch a break. i just started into the woods and didnt even make it 30 yards in the woods and there is 3 small 6 points, a giant 8 and a even bigger giant 10 laying 50 yards looking at me. I might think about saving my buck tag next year as this is the 2nd time now i seen the 8 and 10 in the late season. Ugh trying to find a doe now. Weather is crazy now and just loving it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just got in. Was sitting out of the wind in some fallen trees since around 315. Saw 2 yearlings at 345, a half rack spike at 425 and right at dark had 2 large deer walk by. Was too dark to tell what they were but i believe it was the the 2 large does i have seen alot on cams recently, one is an absolute COW. Work commitments will keep me out of the woods tomorrow, but here in 5C the season runs till end of month so i have a bit of time yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,504 Posts
man i just can't catch a break. i just started into the woods and didnt even make it 30 yards in the woods and there is 3 small 6 points, a giant 8 and a even bigger giant 10 laying 50 yards looking at me. I might think about saving my buck tag next year as this is the 2nd time now i seen the 8 and 10 in the late season. Ugh trying to find a doe now. Weather is crazy now and just loving it.
GPS coordinates? LOL. Hunting is strange.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You realize if you do that you’ll just see does, lol!!
Watched 2 does bedded outside office.they basically bedded in thick stuff all day and got up around 2 for a bit and then just bedded back down not long after. So basically not moving much at all.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You realize if you do that you’ll just see does, lol!!
Watched 2 does bedded outside office.they basically bedded in thick stuff all day and got up around 2 for a bit and then just bedded back down not long after. So basically not moving much at all.
lol. At least with a buck tag i would have the option to take a doe or a buck with the smokepole

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hit a big doe today at sunset. Watched 3 feeding toward me for 20 min. Kept checking through the rear peep. At about 50 yds, she was getting hard to see with my old eyes, so I let it rip and she went off.

Tracked her about 100 yds In my woods,and see where she fell 2 times but I had to give up due to darkness and forgot my light. Wish we had snow . I’ll be out at Dawn and hope to find her.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hit a big doe today at sunset. Watched 3 feeding toward me for 20 min. Kept checking through the rear peep. At about 50 yds, she was getting hard to see with my old eyes, so I let it rip and she went off.

Tracked her about 100 yds In my woods,and see where she fell 2 times but I had to give up due to darkness and forgot my light. Wish we had snow . I’ll be out at Dawn and hope to find her.

Snowing hard here Pops. Hope its not so much where you are. Hope you find her. You keep us posted okay.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I stayed out from 7-5:30. Deer were not moving up here today. I bet I put on a good 7 miles and I only cut 3 sets of tracks. I saw one yearling that I almost stepped on in some thick briar before she got up and trotted off. Right around 4:45 I peeked down into a big hollow and caught a nice buck edging some hemlocks. Only saw him for maybe 5 seconds as he slipped back into them and dissapeared. Had a nice tall snow white rack. Not sure on points but no doubt one i would take. It was just to late to make a move on him. I'll be back out at first light trying to find him or the 8. The wind was just brutal today. My face is windburned something fierce. I kept it in my face all day playing the wind.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I'll be back out at first light trying to find him or the 8. The wind was just brutal today. My face is windburned something fierce. I kept it in my face all day playing the wind.

Your hunting hard. Lot of the guys are. Keep it up. You know what some guys say, "You make your own luck." :smile2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
She was running poorly as she hit the edge of the woods and I found where she fell about 75 yards in , and that’s were there was Blood . It was getting dark and she was heading down hill so I decided to pull out and bring the four wheeler tomorrow .
We’re supposed to get about a half inch of snow tonight . I think I’ll Find her.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Good luck Pops! Keep us updated!

I feel like germanhillhunter....minus the sightings or tracks lol

I walked from about 11-5. I wasn't still hunting. Power walking. Lol. My goal was to cut tracks and jump on them. I never jumped a deer or cut tracks. I figured they were holed up tight. I have a feeling they went down low to get out of the wind. Without roads down low, the deer are safe from me lol. Not about to haul a doe up a mountain. Left the first place and went to another that is more sheltered...pines, swamp etc. Nothing.

Tomorrow will be it for me. Unless I get froggy and hj before work or "get sick".

Been a tough flintlock season weather wise. Finally gets colder and snows....but today the wind and white out conditions made it difficult at best. A few of the snows came down so hard the front of me was white. My binocs had over an inch on them all day lol.

Yesterday I got caught in what was probably the worst thunderstorm I've ever hunted in. Felt kinda dump crossing a swamp with lighting crashing down....but with trees coming down all around, I felt like the quickest way to the truck was the way to go....the wind blasted the rain into my face so hard it was stinging..after the last 2 days my face is raw...

Tomorrow looks about the same as today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts