The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out today. I went out this morning and stalked a little at first light around the backside of the corn. I have an appointment today so I had to cut it short at 9. Saw 3 doe and a spiker. Snow tonight and tommorow. Lake effect bands expected. 4-8 inches. Cold and blustery with nice sustained winds out of the NW. Perfect stalking and tracking weather. Most excited I've been all season. I'm gonna kill that 8!

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Taking my six year old out this afternoon. Plan on walking a few trails and maybe posting up until he gets too antsy. The odds of having a deer under 50 yards without seeing or hearing us are slim to none but he is excited and that’s all that matters. Baby steps. Last year I took him squirrel hunting with me and he really enjoyed it. If we get a few half decent days this winter I plan on taking him again.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Taking my six year old out this afternoon. Plan on walking a few trails and maybe posting up until he gets too antsy. The odds of having a deer under 50 yards without seeing or hearing us are slim to none but he is excited and that’s all that matters. Baby steps. Last year I took him squirrel hunting with me and he really enjoyed it. If we get a few half decent days this winter I plan on taking him again.
Very Nice....get him started right!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I plan on heading out at lunchtime, woke up to freezing rain and got back into bed. Anyway, the side if the farm I usually hunt seems to be vacant of deer now. Same as the last few years. Going to set up on the opposite end of the farm whereI got the one with the flintlock pistol and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
it keeps raining and thundering here. it stops and you think about heading out and it starts again. I think i'll just stay in!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
it keeps raining and thundering here. it stops and you think about heading out and it starts again. I think i'll just stay in!

I would to. Its a weird weather today. Raining hard and thundering here now.

Reactions: blackpowder

·
Registered
668 Posts
They called for rain here and of corse, nothing. It’s pretty warm anyways so I opted to work around the house. I’ve got the rest of the week off so I’ll be out a few times here...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waited til 2:30 after the thunderstorm rolled through to stalk around. Buetiful evening in the woods. 9 doe in all. Can not wait til tommorow. Bring on the snow and wind.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
991D5C3A-A69B-4151-B3CA-E3811083B287.jpg
Well that’s a wrap for deer season but can’t think of a better way to of ended it. My little dude just turned 6 and it went just how I expected it to. No matter how many times I asked him to whisper he would talk out loud and when we sat he couldn’t keep still for more than a minute at a time. It’s hard to switch off that killer mentality when you have been doing for so long. The important thing is he had fun and can’t wait to go with me again. I also can’t wait to take him.
Now I just got to figure out how to post pictures correctly. Lol

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Also wanted to add that a rainstorm snuck up on us while in the woods so I decided to shoot the flintlock before we got wet. Went off flawlessly. A quarter mile up the road there was s big 8 point standing in someone’s front yard . For whatever reason it was very aggressive and was harassing 4 or 5 other deer that was with him. It wasn’t rut behavior . He just seemed more agitated with their presence. Deer were all through the fields on the way home.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Hi guys! Well no rain, only pea soup fog in 5D. In order, saw one racoon, two furry tailed acrobats, and one blue heron. Had a bunch of fresh tracks from this morning heading toward the bedding area, so weather permitting I hope to be in the same spot at zero-dark-thirty.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Hi guys! Well no rain, only pea soup fog in 5D. In order, saw one racoon, two furry tailed acrobats, and one blue heron. Had a bunch of fresh tracks from this morning heading toward the bedding area, so weather permitting I hope to be in the same spot at zero-dark-thirty.
Good luck tomorrow . Sounds like you’re on them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Tomorrow and Thursday are looking windy. Fitting for the year I suppose. I’ll be out in the morning. I’ve got tomorrow morning, all Thursday, Friday morning, and Saturday morning to hunt. Hopefully get something on the ground after all that.

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
I was going to go out tomorrow but with the 40 mph winds I think i'll just stay home. :(

·
Registered
668 Posts
I was going to go out tomorrow but with the 40 mph winds I think i'll just stay home. /forums/images/smilies/frown.gif
I’d say go out mid day for some sneaking around. If only there was some snow, conditions couldn’t be better for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts