The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its not raining here. In facts its a beautiful day where I am. I saw an 8 point this morning walking my dogs. He looked great for this time of year.

I wish I was hunting but I'm out of tags and my freezers full. But good luck and good hunting to all of you out there today. Hope to hear some stories and see some pics tonight.

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
Looks like I’m never going to make it out. Every time I have a day off it’s raining or windy. Maybe next week

·
Registered
145 Posts
Was a perfect cold,clear and calm morning here in the NW. Watch the day come alive listening to the turkeys on the roost, saw a very nice sunrise until the fog rolled in, saw 7 doe and a small buck but couldn’t get any shots. The turkeys eventually flew down and fed up past me. I counted 98 give or take a couple crossing the gas line my stand is on. Came in for lunch and now on my way back out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Saw 8 this evening. All does and all at once. Something pushed them out.
Unfortunately they went above and out of range instead of the trail below me.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well i got out around 330 here. At 420 had a 7pt come in and stand broadside at 40yds. Made the shot and he jumped and ran off obviously hit. Ran about 45yds and went down in to a drainage wash and i didnt see him come out. I gathered up my things and waited 20 mins before going to shot site. Found only a bit of hair there so i slowly snuck along his tracks over to the ditch. Found a few spots of blood between hit site and ditch. Looked into ditch and didnt see him. At this point i decided to back out. As i turned to walk away i heard a noise and he was standing up from behind log on other side of ditch. He went down the hill obviously not moving well and i saw a hole and blood about 3-4 inches behind his shoulder, he went out into the back of my foodplot for like 30yds and then cut back into woods behind plot. I was unable to get my rifle up due to thorns i was in.
Visually marked where he went into woods and decided to cross ditch and look for sign were he had been laying. Found a puddle about the size of 2 pie plates of heavy dark blood-probably liver. I backed out and came in. Went out at 615 to mark spot where i think he went into woods. Found a single eraser size drop of blood at edge of plot and nothing else for first 20yds into woods. Came in and will look again in morning after what im sure will be a night of little sleep.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Good move landscaper! No doubt you will find him. I bet you he's no more than 50-60 yards from where you saw him. His next bed is his death bed. As far as my day went I sat in one of the blinds til 9:30 and saw 5 doe. Came home and changed into light clothes and snuck around til dark. I snuck up on a small 6 point in his bed around 12:30. I just couldn't shoot him knowing that 8 is still in there.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree scaper, that was good thinking. He'l bed down close and you'll collect him in the morning. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The wind has been terrible here with no consistency at all. seems like it changes every couple minutes. makes it tough to figure out where to go and how to hunt the area. may hit the corn fields next week and catch them coming out.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I sure hope your right! Thing that has me worried is lack of a bloodtrail except where he laid down. That and the fact that the woods he went into are quite swampy right now as well as thick with briars and brush and the sheer number of deer in there make it near impossible to follow a particular set of tracks. Have a couple of guys on standby to grid search in the AM if i dont find it quickly

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally connected with the flintlock. I went out with a buddy on private land that he hunts in 2D. It’s got 3 large East-West ridges that back into a North-South one. We got in a little late, around 7, and it was just beginning to get gray. We spooked 2 on the way in and setup. We sat until 8:30 without seeing or hearing anything. What little breeze there was, was swirling and not consistent. He decided to start doing small drives and got me setup on a couple points of where he thought the deer would come by. The second drive, I saw 4 deer, but they were over 150yds away. The third drive, he went way down and around a big bowl. I was on the north side of the ridge and heard several bust up through on the south side. I was bummed thinking I’d missed the drive. I sat tight for awhile longer and suddenly saw a doe step out onto the logging road that goes up the ridge. She wasn’t running and walked across the opening. I swung around and got on my rifle. The 2nd one bounded across quickly. There was a 15-30 second pause (seemed like forever) and the 3rd one stepped out. I wasn’t sure on the range, but knew it was over 50yds. I couldn’t tell the size of the deer, as they were just over a slight crest. I held a little high and squeezed. She backflipped on the trail and went tumbling back the way she came. Three more smaller deer were milling around and then disappeared. I pulled out my phone and texted my buddy that I had a deer down. He was 300 yds down the slope working up through the thicket & he said he was relieved. He was getting tired of driving uphill. I waited a couple minutes and let things calm down. Then I walked up to where I could see her. I ranged back to the tree I’d been standing by and measured 66yds. She was 15 yds off the trail, so she was easy to find. From the trail she looked small and I was bummed to have shot a small one. Once I got up to her, I couldn’t believe how big she was. We took a bunch of pictures (huge benefit of having someone else along) and field dressed her. Got her back to his house and quartered her. Awesome day and awesome weather in God’s Creation!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts