The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Hunting up in Sullivan today. Quiet this morning no deer seen. Back at truck warming up for afternoon hunt. Cold but no wind. Hoping for backstraps tonight but have a nice prime roast back at camp just in case! Best of luck to all out there this final day of flintlock season!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Last day in 2f. Went out til 11. Back in for lunch now. Stalked the hemlocks. Tracks everywhere but didn't see a tail. Gonna head to a blind at 3 that I've been saving for tonight. Good luck to all.
Good luck, sat until 10:00 this morning no deer seen. Going back out this afternoon until dark.

This figures guys. I got no tags left so this morning I'm just out for my everyday morning walk and came up on four bedded down about 9am. Good luck to every body still out there.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This figures guys. I got no tags left so this morning I'm just out for my everyday morning walk and came up on four bedded down about 9am. Good luck to every body still out there.
My problem so far in the late season is seeing buck and more buck. Not that there is anything wrong with that but i dont have a tag for those lol. The doe i have seen so far have not presented a shot that i am comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Went out this morning at daybreak. Took a break by a seat, and saw a group sneaking out of the brush. I was waiting for them to come out on the path, but the lead doe saw me. Had the gun up waiting for a clear shot. When she flicked her tail twice I decided she was too nervous and blew smoke. The rest didn't know where I was at and two almost ran me over, and two more walked across the trail 40 yards away while I'm reloading. The doe I shot at ran back the way it came from. So, go to take a look and 10 yards from where she was standing is a sapling about the size of my thumb sheared clean off(DANG NABIT). Find where she pushed off and there's blood. Go back and take a seat for 10 minutes and start tracking through the clearcut. Jumped her once between that cut and the next. Tracked through that clearcut and jumped her again. She finally went across a beaver pond, don't ask me how she didn't break through the ice. But I tried to put my weight on it and wouldn't hold. So, after 3 hours and about a mile plus of tracking with almost no blood at the end I called it off. I would have had to go out to the road to get around the pond and hope I found the same tracks. Saw three more on the way out, but I didn't even have the gumption to pick up the gun. Only thing I can come up with is that sapling took enough off the ball to not get much penetration, and I probably hit the shoulder. When I jumped her she wasn't limping and never tried to lay down. This is only the second deer in my life I've wounded and not found... And I'm PO'd!!!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its all over. I saw 2 doe tonight. The big 8 has survived to see another season. My god is he gonna be unreal next year. Tear down the blinds tommorow and put out a few more cams. It sure was fun. Congrats to all who scored. 3.5 months til spring gobbler!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
saw several today but it just didn't come together for any shots. watched three really nice gobblers, saw several squirrels, a lot of fox tracks and 2 fresh scraps from last night. the weather was beautiful today and everything seemed to be up and on the move. great day in the woods, but I am glad its over, too many miles on this old worn out body:grin2:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Saw more than 60 turkeys today, the number had to be closer to 80. Four of us went out today, we came home with four deer. It was a great end to the season. Saw lots of deer, lots of turkeys, a few squirrels, and we brought meat home for the freezer. The only downside is that the season is over! Oh well, time to return to the rabbits!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
After seeing 18 doe around my house yesterday i decided to do my last sit behind my house tonight. 4:30 i seen 4 big doe working their way to me then all the sudden all heck broke loose and deer ran every direction i am thinking what the heck and i hear crashing heading towards me and the neighbors dogs from up the road came flying through the woods chasing the deer. I will be having a chat with them this week. They keep coming on my property all the time. They just moved in a few months ago. I love the late season as i usually see more deer than archery and rifle combined every year but luck was not on my side as i seen mostly bucks and the doe would never come out in the open. still had lots of fun. At least small game season is in and my kids love shooting squirrels as do i.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Saw more than 60 turkeys today, the number had to be closer to 80. Four of us went out today, we came home with four deer. It was a great end to the season. Saw lots of deer, lots of turkeys, a few squirrels, and we brought meat home for the freezer. The only downside is that the season is over! Oh well, time to return to the rabbits!

I didn't get a ML license for years when I had beagles. I would use my flintlock in rifle season to fill my tags so I could hunt the late season for rabbits. I think it the best season of the year by far! I sure miss my beagle and rabbit hunting. good luck to you pb!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ended up seeing 8. Nothing in the morning and walked up a few but they took off before I could get a shot.
Saw a ton of fresh tracks in my evening spot but it snowed way to hard for them to be moving so tried some stalking. Nocked another 4 on the way out.
Still have 2 weeks in Allegeny co. Time to clean the flintlock so ready for the rest of the season

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
A lot of you guys hunted hard, quite a few deer taken. Good to see. Now its time to clean your rifles, start hunting some small game and like G.H.H. said its only 3 months to spring turkey.

I went out and burned some powder today, shot some targets and had some fun. Cleaned the rifles and put them on the pegs but it wont be long till I have them out again.

Reactions: blackpowder

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I didn't get a ML license for years when I had beagles. I would use my flintlock in rifle season to fill my tags so I could hunt the late season for rabbits. I think it the best season of the year by far! I sure miss my beagle and rabbit hunting. good luck to you pb!
Yeah but the problem is no one will hunt rabbits with me while flintlock season is in :D Plus the fact that there hasn't been any snow on the ground for rifle season in the past few seasons and I always prefer to hunt deer on the snow. The dogs are itching to hit the woods as well so the minute I have some time off I'll be out. The wife will be less than thrilled, but at least she can get away from hyper dogs for a few hours lol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Went out this morning at daybreak. Took a break by a seat, and saw a group sneaking out of the brush. I was waiting for them to come out on the path, but the lead doe saw me. Had the gun up waiting for a clear shot. When she flicked her tail twice I decided she was too nervous and blew smoke. The rest didn't know where I was at and two almost ran me over, and two more walked across the trail 40 yards away while I'm reloading. The doe I shot at ran back the way it came from. So, go to take a look and 10 yards from where she was standing is a sapling about the size of my thumb sheared clean off(DANG NABIT). Find where she pushed off and there's blood. Go back and take a seat for 10 minutes and start tracking through the clearcut. Jumped her once between that cut and the next. Tracked through that clearcut and jumped her again. She finally went across a beaver pond, don't ask me how she didn't break through the ice. But I tried to put my weight on it and wouldn't hold. So, after 3 hours and about a mile plus of tracking with almost no blood at the end I called it off. I would have had to go out to the road to get around the pond and hope I found the same tracks. Saw three more on the way out, but I didn't even have the gumption to pick up the gun. Only thing I can come up with is that sapling took enough off the ball to not get much penetration, and I probably hit the shoulder. When I jumped her she wasn't limping and never tried to lay down. This is only the second deer in my life I've wounded and not found... And I'm PO'd!!!
Sounds like my day. Shot doe at 1030. Shot 4 more times over next 6 hours through thick crabapple creek bottom. Jumped her 10+ times. Got within 5 feet twice. Played dead once and scared the crap out of me the second time. She circled back 3 times on same trail.

Lots of crazy moments and luckily ended with a recovery and unlucky that it was a long drag. Bad day to be hunting solo.

Greatest test of my persistence. Proud of that but very sad deer suffered for 6 hours.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ended the season on a good note. Went out with some good buddies and met a couple new guys. We had 9 guys with 6 toting flinters. We got a 5 point and a doe. 11 total shots and probably 40 deer seen. Heck of a way to end the season.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Season ended quiety for me in the big Sullivan County mountains. Saw a few deer late in the day but were in heavy cover not giving me a shot I was comfortable with. Loved every minute of the day just me & my smoker alone in the woods. Left camp first light this morning already missing it soon as I hit Rt 87 driving along the beautiful Loyalsock heading south. Love being back home with family etc but man it's just something about a few days hunting those magnificent mountains with the ole flinter.

Much congrats to all who have scored plus thanks to those who shared their memorable moments in our treasured Flintlock Season!:smile2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts