The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I won't have access to a tractor this year for food plots as I first had figured on. So, my question is- now what?
I am planning on planting a mixture I got from tractor supply in a couple 1/2 acre plots. The mixture has wheat, oats and bersem clover in it. I also was going to put a plot of shotplot in as well.
The problem is my king kutter disc wont break the ground even with 200 lbs added to it. And i have no farmers around that are willing to help (even with paying them). Does anyone have an idea what the heck I can drag to at least scar the ground to get some see to soil contact? I checked some auctions also and have had no luck with finding equipment that I can modify and I'm running out of time for this fall planting. I have a spray tank and boom and plan on burning down the native stuff first after mowing.
I apologize for the rambling but I'm pretty upset as I busted my tail (and pocketbook) starting last year to get the ph from 5.5 to 6.5. I'm just afraid that all my hard work will go to waste this year.
Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm pretty much stuck and need some guidance...

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The Kutter will do the job if the vegetation is dead and the roots are rotted a bit.

KILL THE STUFF ASAP!

Also, the plot doesn't have to be perfectly turned soil. You'll be amazed what you'll get from just roughing up the soil a bit.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
you could always rent heavier equipment from a rental place near you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Agree with Dutch. You wil be surprised how much vegetation and roots can stop a disc from cutting the soil.

If you aren't opposed to buying another piece of equipment a sub soiler or sod buster can help and they aren't too expensive (about $150).

·
Registered
125 Posts
the more you put into it the more you get out of it.
"do it right the first time and you wont have troubles later on" ...97 yr old Grand father

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Kill all of the vegetation that is in your plots NOW. If you have access to a grain drill use that to plant your seed, or find someone that has one and let them do it. If you kill all of your vegetation and then work up the ground you will turn up all of the old seed in the ground and it will germinate and you will be left with another weed problem and you will have to spray again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
spraying again isn't so bad just added expence but the results are awesome to actually remove 90% or better of all weeds from the plot, its well worth it in the long run

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all so very much for the advice and offers! That's why I love this site!
As it turns out, I should have some heavier equipment available so it should all work out. I was just in panic mode I guess.
Thank you all again!!!
Matt

·
Registered
125 Posts
here is a # to folks in sandy lake, pa they have an atv no till to rent,,, 724-376-2489 Sandy Lake Implements...that is your ticket...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts