The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 870 out this morning and shot some different slugs thru for brush hunting next week.

Its an 18.5" brl'd 2.75-3" 870... the 2.75" cycled fine, but the 3" I had problems with the hulls jamming in the ejection port... anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
what brand shells were they?i take it the end of the brass was getting hung?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Check the receiver and make sure that the seral # ends with M. It May say 3"on the barrel but may not be a 3" gun . A good gunsmith can move the extractor .

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
My guess is that the receiver is only a set up for 2 3/4". The barrel can be chamdered 3 1/2" but if the receiver is only 2 3/4" that is all you can shoot out of it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brls marked 2.75-3" The receiver is not marked for length. This is a factory setup.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
jon8777 said:
The brls marked 2.75-3" The receiver is not marked for length. This is a factory setup.
Almost all 870 barrels are marked that way. Problem is, the receiver could be an Express (2 3/4" only), Express Magnum (2 3/4" or 3") or Express Super Magnum (2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2"). The barrels will interchange on all receivers, so it's not what it says on the barrel that you need to look at.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
jon8777 said:
I took the 870 out this morning and shot some different slugs thru for brush hunting next week.

Its an 18.5" brl'd 2.75-3" 870... the 2.75" cycled fine, but the 3" I had problems with the hulls jamming in the ejection port... anyone else have this problem?
Make sure that your not easing the slide rearward when you extract a spent round from the chamber. I've seen the problem that you describe happen when the shooter doesn't pump the slide back hard enough. The 2 3/4" shells clear OK but the 3" sometimes hang up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts