The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Yeah, but he hasn't done crap since he signed this deal!

Good signing!

·
20,123 Posts
Really a huge signing. I wasn't sure they would be able to keep him or that he would provide the home town discount. Thankfully he did though. That's important.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Glad they locked him down. I assume that this wont negatively effect the resigning of Malkin, Letang, Staal, Fleury and Crosby when the time comes to do that.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Well, if it impacts the ability to keep those guys, it may be a dumb move. But then again, we don't know if Crosby will ever play again, so it may be a moot point there. Malkin has not shown that he is worthy of "best player on Earth" money. Staal is a good 2nd line center, but when we needed him to carry the team last year, he couldn't do it. Fleury and Letang are the guys who really don't have much downside when it comes to contract time.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Shero will put in dime store wingers to keep Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury and Letang. Those are the keystones of the entire team. Having Neal is a bonus.

....and you can't expect an INJURED 3rd line(1st or 2nd on most any team not containing Crosby and Malkin) center to carry a team through the playoffs! You can't expect one guy to do it all....which Staal tried to do anyway. C'mon, the guy plays everywhere and everything as it is....even strength(5v5 & 4v4), penalty kill, power play, fore check, back check, face-offs....doesn't tend the net, but he probably could!

Do you know how much money is going to be thrown at him when his contract is up? It's going to be huge money....and not because of any one factor either. He's the epitome of an all-in-one forward....POWER forward that is.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Agreed, Staal has tremendous value. And, how is Malkin NOT worthy of "best player on earth" money? He makes 8.7 million right now and he's outplaying that.

·
4,230 Posts
This is a great signing in my opinion. I have been on the Neal bandwagon since the minute he got here. I knew with a more talented team he could score big.

Those other guys are certainly keys to this team and Ray Shero will find some way to get a deal done with all of them when the time comes.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Danesdad said:
Agreed, Staal has tremendous value. And, how is Malkin NOT worthy of "best player on earth" money? He makes 8.7 million right now and he's outplaying that.
Right now, perhaps. But for two plus years, he's been a bit above average. Certainly not deserving of being paid the same amount as Sid. This year, of course, Sid is vastly overpaid.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
He was the best player on earth three or four years ago. And he single handedly dismantled Carolina in the cup run. No, he's well "above average".

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
There was an article about how good Neal is doing beside Malkin...the percentage of goals he has with Malkin on the ice. making it sound like it was due to Malkin. I think the same could be said about Malkin having a great year with the help of Neal. For whatever reason, they seem to be working very well together. And like Backwoods, I've liked the way he has played since they brought him over, the goals are a major plus though.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Malkin is deserving of a huge payday too....to think he's not suggests a mental disorder! He arguably the best in the NHL right now and for the past several years. There's ups and downs with every player, but across the board he's certainly on EVERY teams 'want' list....we, as Pens fans, don't ever want to see that.

....and I'm not even that fond of Malkin! He's got some tendencies that I despise like skating big circles when he's picked, off-sides all the time, stupid penalties when he gets hit, just being lazy, etc. However, when he WANTS to play he's virtually unstoppable.

·
4,230 Posts
Malkin's last two years were injury plagued. Two years ago when he hurt his knee I think he rushed back because he wanted to play and that contributed to worse play and then again last year hurting the other knee. Requiring surgery, IMO, was the best thing for him because it made him have to rest both knees. Now he is playing the best hockey in the NHL.

Add to that a high scoring winger who loves to SHOOT the puck and you get a great line.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Bucket said:
There was an article about how good Neal is doing beside Malkin...the percentage of goals he has with Malkin on the ice. making it sound like it was due to Malkin. I think the same could be said about Malkin having a great year with the help of Neal. For whatever reason, they seem to be working very well together. And like Backwoods, I've liked the way he has played since they brought him over, the goals are a major plus though.
No question, they feed off each other and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
JasonN said:
Malkin is deserving of a huge payday too....to think he's not suggests a mental disorder! He arguably the best in the NHL right now and for the past several years. There's ups and downs with every player, but across the board he's certainly on EVERY teams 'want' list....we, as Pens fans, don't ever want to see that.

....and I'm not even that fond of Malkin! He's got some tendencies that I despise like skating big circles when he's picked, off-sides all the time, stupid penalties when he gets hit, just being lazy, etc. However, when he WANTS to play he's virtually unstoppable.
He has cut down on the stupid penalties. Couple years ago, it seemed like you could count on one a game from him. Now, he's down to one a week, or less.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Agreed....to a point. He still retaliates. I think part of it is the refs not calling stuff on him(star factor maybe?) for the 'extra' stuff after the play.

I'm not a Malkin hater by any stretch, I just think he's got some areas that could use some work. He's probably the best in the NHL right now and I respect that. He's fun to watch when he's on fire....sometimes he's painful to watch when he's lazy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts