The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO, James is in over his head (div 1A). I think he means well but I don't see anything special as a coach. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
He definitely took a giant step up going to State but he fit the image they were looking to go at the time.
He knew how to get high school kids in the NE section of the country at his other assignment so let's see how he can do now that PSU is back to full scholarship status.

I think his biggest hurdle is going to be getting a big time QB now that Christian is moving on. I think that he and his family feel Franklin has nothing to offer to jeopardize his getting injured.
I don't think Christian is ready for the NFL and I think he went out with that shoulder injury to guarantee he was healthy for the combines.

PSU is a lot further along then they were expected to be at this point.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I think if Christian has a good QB coach, and better than average OL, he might just prosper in the NFL.

If Trace McSorley is the QB for next year, Franklin has a tough road ahead.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think McSorley looked better then Hackenburg on saturday, hack had that 1 drive where he went 4 for 4 then nothing. I'd be willing to see what Trace has

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Somehow he managed to sign the number 1- 4 wide quarterback, Hack new that Baylor/TCU football is coming to PSU, not sure of his name but he managed to sign him, I think that's what caused the move...did you notice he thanked O'Brien not this guy, I don't think they got along at all...did you notice the new offensive coordinator making Hack roll out like a four wide QB, I think he said enough of that and went down and said bye-bye. He'll be a big hit as a pocket passer if someone with a reasonable line takes him, the pros try to change these 4 wide qb's but few ever make it, Winston seems to have adapted..no change for Hack, he's ready to go.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Over the course of a season, a young team usually improves game to game....week to week. Not so at PSU this year. The early problems and issues were still noticeable on Jan2. Play selection is predicable and time management is lacking. I think that they got worse as the season progressed.

PSU has decent talent but needs coaches to polish this talent, need coaches that teach and lead. IMO, Franklin is not that guy.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I'm willing to give him a few more years for a number of reasons:

1. Sanction/reduced scholarships - During the time were there were reduced scholarships, BOB and Franklin did a great job of recruiting skilled players, but did not have the scholarships to offer to offensive linemen. It shows.

2. Franklin's offensive system is not geared towards a pocket passer. I know, I know, a good coach will tailer his system to meet the strengths of his players. Refer to reason number one as to why a pocket passer wasn't going to work no matter what they tried.

3. By the time we get to season 4 and 5, Franklin will be showing whether he and his staff are able to coach with their own recruits that should be a good fit for what they are trying to accomplish.

These 8-5 or 7-6 seasons are killing me. That being said, I would rather have those at this point than no football at all, which was also an option that the idiots at the NCAA considered.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
IMO, 2017 we should know one way or another. Franklin's best first step was realizing that he can be the CEO and simply hire competent people around him to actually coach. I don't need him to be a good coach, being an awesome salesman is fine, just surround yourself with quality coaches and it'll be fine.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PossumBackstrap said:
I don't need him to be a good coach, being an awesome salesman is fine, just surround yourself with quality coaches and it'll be fine.
"don't need him to be a good coach" Well his not, and things keep getting worst...just sayin'.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Three Delaware guys on that team, all are starters and all 3 came on with Obrien....Wish Obrien was still there..oh well

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Washpa Randy said:
I'm willing to give him a few more years for a number of reasons:

1. Sanction/reduced scholarships - During the time were there were reduced scholarships, BOB and Franklin did a great job of recruiting skilled players, but did not have the scholarships to offer to offensive linemen. It shows.

2. Franklin's offensive system is not geared towards a pocket passer. I know, I know, a good coach will tailer his system to meet the strengths of his players. Refer to reason number one as to why a pocket passer wasn't going to work no matter what they tried.

3. By the time we get to season 4 and 5, Franklin will be showing whether he and his staff are able to coach with their own recruits that should be a good fit for what they are trying to accomplish.

These 8-5 or 7-6 seasons are killing me. That being said, I would rather have those at this point than no football at all, which was also an option that the idiots at the NCAA considered.
This.

People don't realize how crippling the sanctions were. The point of the sanctions was to drive PSU down to the SMU level of sucess. The fact that PSU didn't have a losing season the last 4 years is quite an accomplishment.

Good teams are heavy in JR/Sr players. PSU is still a very young team and it will take a couple more years until those young players are able to really show their stuff especially on the O line.

8 wins in 2016 is reasonable with 2017 being the year it should come together.

PSU will not force Franklin out. They may not renew his contract but they won't fire him.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Defensive coordinator Bob Shoop leaves and now Gino Lewis.....marvelous. I wish Lewis the best, Franklin rarely called his number.

Oh wait...Jimbo doesn't call plays.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Troy Reeder , starting linebacker for PSU is transferring to Delaware. His brother Colby who graduates H.S. this year has committed to Delaware, several teams wanted him including Illinois but he is going to U of D. also. Their dad went to Delaware, was a fullback, played a couple years with the Steelers as a backup mostly, maybe that's why the chose Delaware... I just cant figure out why a Starting linebacker for Penn State would pull out and go to another program, there has to be a reason.??????

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Some people are more comfortable being close to home or following up on a family legacy, others would rather be a big fish in a little pond.
Definitely will be a loss to PSU and an asset to UD.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
RonM said:
Troy Reeder , starting linebacker for PSU is transferring to Delaware. His brother Colby who graduates H.S. this year has committed to Delaware, several teams wanted him including Illinois but he is going to U of D. also. Their dad went to Delaware, was a fullback, played a couple years with the Steelers as a backup mostly, maybe that's why the chose Delaware... I just cant figure out why a Starting linebacker for Penn State would pull out and go to another program, there has to be a reason.??????
One reason is he probably would not have been a starter next year with Cabinda, Bell and Wartman-White all returning.

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
Franklin just reminds me too much of Todd "Speed, Speed, Speeed" Graham. Former Pitt coach that bolted to ASU after a year. Silver-Tongued Devil that will smile and tell everybody what they want to hear.... brimming with optimism and positive rhetoric.

At least Mike Tomlin (or at least his team), can back up the cliché-filled malarkey that comes out of his mouth.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Nice......guy gets a free ride to a degree and uses another school as a tune-up for the NFL.
If he feels he is that good jump right into the big pond and see how he cant run with the big boys.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Players leaving ultimately is a good thing. It means that they know there are more and better players behind them and playing time is going to be limited. These players leaving mean that the house is getting close to full of talent and depth. Akeel as a RB during the sanctions is different when you can recruit a full stable of talent.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts