The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get better at jake yelps on my scratch box. I want to get the high pitch front end out. I don't think they sound bad, but I want to figure out if it is where I am striking the call, or if it is how I am holding it.

Any insight?

Lee Bowles and I did a swap this spring for some of my flies for one of his scratch boxes. This one is made out of Limba.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Seems to me you need to slow down and make it a longer yelp. I never hear them do that many yelps and I’ve never heard one clucking during yelping unless they’re in gun range and looking for the “hen”.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I limit my yelps to 3 or 4 at the most. That seems to be the "norm" from the real birds I've heard. You also need to be careful that a "cluck" isn't mistaken by the bird as a "putt". If they determine it to be a putt, they are gone.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

this is how i typically hear them yelping. Gobblers seem to be slower and more drawn out. This one doesn't really cluck that much but I typically hear them clucking a lot then yelping very similarly to the one in this video.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If you listen to the video, the birds cadence changes during his "verbalization". His first yelp....then a short pause....then 3 or 4 of the same cadence.....then a short pause.....then done. Not on every one but listen to the cadence.

Great video!!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Hey, you got a great scratch box there. Your yelps don't sound bad, but as steeltrap said, the length and cadence is a little off. I always refer to Jake yelps as "caulking". If you want a higher front end for "hen" yelps, use the end of the call instead of the center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts