The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be dumb, but what is the point of a jacketed hollow point? Isn't the jacket supposed to not expand and hollow point makes it expand.

·
Registered
690 Posts
What cal rifle/pistol are you useing? Jacketed hollow points are usually popular for small game from rim fire rifles. Also popular as self defense bullets from handguns. For big game, I'd stick with a soft point, or my favorite big game bullet, the Nosler Accubond.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mainly coyote and woodchuck. I just saw that they were cheaper and I thought it was contradicting, so I didn't understand what it actually did

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Most 223 hollow point ammo would be designed for fast violent expansion. It would be used primarily for varmints or self defense.

·
Registered
300 Posts
RobOz said:
Most 223 hollow point ammo would be designed for fast violent expansion. It would be used primarily for varmints or self defense.
X2

"Jacketed" just means the outside diameter is covered in a malpable metal. Usually copper.

In .223, you could probably get away with foxes with a hollow point if the projectile is 62gr. I wouldn't suggest them on yotes. With yotes go with a 62gr soft point or any expandable class projectile.

Hollow points are fragmentation class
Example:
Sierra Varminter
Sierra Match King
Sierra Blitz King
Hornady Amax

Expandable class:
Sierra Game King
Hornady Interlock
Nosler Accubond

Hope I helped

1 - 9 of 9 Posts