The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt in any weather but find it very uncomfortable to stand hunt in freezing temperatures. Sitting still, I usually get cold no matter how much clothing I wear. I can tough it out, within reason, but would like to be more comfortable.

In PA the weather gets faily cold but usually not brutal until late in the season. I also hunt in New England and it is not uncommon to be hunting single digits. It is brutal trying to get through a long sit, nevemind an all-day hunt.

My question is whether the IWOM is as effective as it claims. Is it worth the $400 price?

I am not normally cheap but that seems like a lot of cash for what it is. I could buy a new rifle for that.

·
Super Moderator
13,333 Posts
Don't sweat on the way in during the coldest part of the day. Go in dressed light and carry the "Setting" clothing. Take your time going to your stand...stop for time to time to cool off also it doesn't spook the game as bad and you can add your clothes once in place.

I find it more effective to dress in layers. Being bulky and imitating the "Pillsbury Doe Boy" can have a huge disadvantage on maneuvering to getting ready for the shot, being able to best excite one shot/form, climbing tree stands and bulky does not appear to keep me warmer.

The best advise I can give is to shoot your game early....
By dressing in layers one can remove clothes as it warms up and put them back on when the evening cool down sets in.

I don't like wearing gloves so I use one of those waist muffs.

Most of the heat is lost through the head so go "Light headed" so to speak and add warm head gear once on the stand.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up getting the IWOM so I figured I'd give it a review. First off, their customer service is great and you get prompt and helpful responses.

I have used it twice so far with temps in the mid to high 20s. I deliberately didn't put warmers in my boots because I wanted to give it a good test. I found it to be warm and comfortable in these temperatures and was able to hunt as long as I wanted without the cold being a factor. I wore a fleece pullover underneath, wool pants and Irish Setter 600 gram boots.

I was pleasantly surprised by how warm my feet felt the first day. The next day my feet felt a bit cold but nothing serious and moving my toes periodically took care of the issue.

What I like:

The camo pattern is nice and the design is pretty well thought out. It can be rolled into an attached pocket and easily carried around your waist when going in and out. Unlike the competing Heater Body Suit, the sleeves on the IWOM allow your arms to be free so you can keep your rifle or bow in your hands while on stand. The sleeves also allow you to wear a blaze-orange vest over it - the Heater Body Suit does not.

Now the negative:

The suit is cut a little bit small in my opinion. I wear a 46 Long suitcoat so I am pretty squarely an extra large. The suit I bought is for someone up to 6' 1" (my height) who is XL or XXL. The suit fits me comfortably once I get it on but is not easy to put on. For a guy who is a legitimate XXL, it might be tight.

My other complaint is that the interior lining is fleece. I am a big fan of fleece but not as a liner. It's not that big of a deal but the product could be inproved if there was an additional liner on the inside of the fleece that was slicker or more satin-like as you find with a jacquard lining in a business suit. That would make it much easier to slip in and out of. If they did that I would be raving about the product but without it the fleece clings to your clothes and makes it harder to get into.

Finally, so far it has served its purpose but the 150 gram Thinsulate Ultra insulation is warm but surprisingly thin. It makes me wonder if it will perform as well in extreme cold. 25 degree temps are cold but not extreme. I have not had the chance to hunt single-digit temps yet. I't may prove to me adequately warm but I have some doubts. The Heater Body Suit has 300 gram Thinsulate Ultra.

Overall, I'd give it 4 out of five stars. If it were cut a bit bigger (to allow more room for layering and ease of entry) and it had a smooth lining I would give it a 5. If it had something like 200 gram Thinsulate Ultra added as well, it would be nearly perfect.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
About 20 years ago, I built a sort-of heater body suit. I used a Slumber Jack mummy bag that is rated down to about 10 degrees. I had a large hole put in the side opposite the zipper. I had the zipper modified so that it had a velcro closure at the top. I take my boots off and slide myself into the bag, putting my left arm thru the one hole. I then zip the bag most of the way shut until it gets to my arm pit and put a velcro stap over the top of my shoulder. Works real well as long as you do not need to stand for a extended period. Mainly used in a ground blind or on the ground. I usually leave the top loose and wear a knit cap. Main problem is that it is so warm that I almost always fall asleep. helpful tip: carry a couple of hot toes heater and drop them into your boots. Cover with a plastic bag and you'll have toasty boots when you put them back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts