The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a TC Hawkin 50 cal. I'm new to this so any help on loads, balls, all the fixin's I'm gonna need would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Welcome aboard! You've made a choice you'll never regret. I'll assume your TC Hawken is a flintlock, and you're feeling a bit overwhelmed with what to do next.

I started with a .50 cal. TC Hawken 35+ years ago, and when I lowered my arm at the auction, I received a look from the wife I'll never, ever forget!

If I remember correctly, that .50 cal. Hawken appreciated a .490 round ball surrounded by a .015 lubed patch, ahead of 75 grains of FFg Goex. I'm a lefty, and soon found that that right-handed Hawken and I would never become friendly, so I sold it to someone who could appreciate it.

Thousands of dollars spent, and a half dozen lefty flintlocks later, find me old, broke, but a truly happy, huntin' man!

Best of luck with your new smokepole! You're now on a black powder slippery slide, and there is no getting off!

·
Premium Member
24,059 Posts
Great advice by my friend Berks!!

Glad to see ya still in here Berks! Hope all is well!!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I`ve been at it for over35years nad am still learning!!Best way is to find a M`loader Club near you and ask questions. There will be a wealth of info there....

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
welcome to the fraterinty
just keep shootin it. Shoot, shoot, then shoot somemore, and when you think you have shot enough shoot again. Don't just shoot off the bench either, shoot standing, kneeling, gun against a tree, left foot on a stump, right foot on stump (I like to call the last two the "Captain Morgen", etc. . .

and if you can next weekend is the Dixon Gunmaker's fair, they have different seminars, and you can learn a lot of pointers, not to mention all the beautiful custom guns on display and for sale
once you start you will become an addict

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are just starting out the BEST thing I could recomend is to get a copy of Lymans Muzzleloading handbook. Hundreds of loads listed and overall the best $15 dollars you will spend blackpowder shooting.

·
Registered
12,140 Posts
There are things that are essential and those that are handy and those that you may actually use ... someday. 50 cal you will need powder. if flint, skip the fake powder and get the real stuff. Also you shuld have 4 ffg for the pan in a flinter but 3fg will work in the pan and the barrel. Patches, round balls, a ram road jag to fit your ram rod. An extra flint, or caps if a caplock. a ball starter, powder measure, flask or horn. Buy a cheap medium size tackle box to hold the gear. Tools to field strip the gun and a way to clear the gun when you dry ball it. Gun shops will be happy to sell you all kinds of gee gaws that you will never use. You can get by with $30 worth, should probably have about $50 in essentials and can easily spend $200 Best thing as someone said is get an experienced person to show you at the range.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
mine shoots 70gr goex 3f, .490 and .015" patch pretty darn good.........bob

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Welcome!!!There is nothing like the smell of black powder in the morning...cept maybe the smell of black powder in the evening,well you get my point,lol.
JIM

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
10der222 said:
Welcome!!!There is nothing like the smell of black powder in the morning...cept maybe the smell of black powder in the evening,well you get my point,lol.
JIM
you forgot to add the scent of gut pile afterwards.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!!

You can PM almost any of us at any time and well will be more than happy to help! So what Hoyt are you shooting now? Me---Alphamax 32 with a QAD HD rest, HHA DS sight ---

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which Hoyt? Which Season?--Still shooting the Protek indoors, but just picked up a set of 65% letoff cams for it. Kept the Katera XL as a backup 3D and backup hunting bow. It shoots so sweet I can't let it go. Will be hunting again this year with the Alphamax 32. 2 shots- 2 deer, why change. Been shooting my Alpha Burner all 3D season. Once you get used to it, it is a tack driver. If it wasn't the red fusion, I would hunt with it in a heartbeat.

Can't wait to try some different loads in the ML. What is the difference between balls, maxiballs, and sabots? and which do you think will better work in the TC/Hawkin?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
In a flintlock with a 1:66 twist or there abouts---roundballs for sure...........a faster twist 1:44 or there abouts you can go with you mentioned. I like the roundballs because they would be what was used in the pre 1800 long guns.
You have quite the collection of Hoyts! I have my old stand in--11 year old Hoyt Intruder Raider and my 1 year old Alphamax 32. Im going to try shooting it at 60 yards today. I gotten out to 50 yards with 60% of my shots in a pie plate. I have a comfort zone of 40 yards thus far for taking deer with it. A little more tuning is needed but the HHA sight and QAD HD rest and the Alphamx 32 take the game to a new level.

·
Registered
655 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
Best thing as someone said is get an experienced person to show you at the range.
I highly recommend doing that if you can,makes a world of difference.
Oh,and welcome to a lifelong addiction...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts