The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I don't start a project till around this time of year....but tagging out on my buck opening day of archery left me with some time to get a head start.....on a pair of 58s. One being my first build from a plank.

Yesterday I finished inletting everything. Today I started the shaping.

58cal C weight 44" gain twist barrel made by Bobby Hoyt.
Chambers Dale Johnson Lock.
Castings and plank from Allen Martin.

Gives you an idea of what I started with.

That's where I ended on the day.

Here's a peak at the other....a Kibler Colonial.

With an absolute killer piece of wood. Has a couple spots of ambrosia but it's super hard wood. I don't think the stains will effect the end result much. Couldn't pass up that piece.

Bought the kit to help me shape my plank as the architecture is similar and I've never shaped a plank down...and, lots of people ask me to build them a gun....so, I will have it to part with it they have deep enough pockets...

I've been taking pics all along...just no time to upload and post. Figured I'd share a little incase anyone wondered where I was.....I've just been "in the basement..."

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Yeah, you have been busy. Looks great so far. Keep the pics coming when you get the time. Like to see how you get on.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Fine work, Mauser! And, that is one beautiful stock of curly maple! The finished product will be awesome!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wood on the Kibler is some of the finest I've ever seen. Super dense hard Norway maple. The ambrosia spots should finish fine. Might be a smidge darker than the rest...there's 3 little bug holes I will fill and they should hardly be noticable. I love the wood...super tight curl that turns into a crazy burl pattern. Should be a stunning piece when it's finished.

My plank build is more my taste. Big bold open curl. It's a hard sugar maple stick. My inlets are all nice. I just have to shape her down right and I should have me a real nice rifle. I got a little further on the butt stock yesterday. It's coming along. Forward of the lock won't take much and is there as "technical".

Then onto the details, carving and finishing of both. I still have a ways to go. The furniture isn't finished on either rifle. Lock needs filed on the Kibler too..

Hoping to get the sights and touch hole put in the plank build Sunday and hit the range with both during my days off if the weather is decent. I like to shoot my guns in the white and make sure all is sound before going further.

After I'm done shaping the plank, I am probably going to do everything else side by side. No reason to finish each gun separately. If I'm rusting steel I might as well rust it all...if I'm liking a stock I might as well oil 2.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure is. Different builders do everything a little different. I chose to inlet everything into the plank while it was square. I think it's easier to inlet and drill while still square. I've seen guys drill touch holes first and pin barrels last and shape stocks before inletting anything. Just different ways to stock a longrifle. For me, I like how I've done this one.

I really thought shaping would take longer...another few hours and the butt will be shaped...few hours to put a wooden box in and a few hours to shape out the forend.

I don't plan to build any more kits or precarved stocks now... building from a plank was intimidating but now I do believe it's easier.

Shooting to have them both finished or in the finishing process before turkey season....I won't rush it...but that's kinda my goal as of now. I have a good bit of time off during turkey season to either finish them or start the next one....lol.

I gotta try to part with the Kibler rifle after it's finished....that grade of wood will be hard to part with....but I bought it with intentions of not keeping it. I gotta part with my 62 at some point too. They'll both fund my next builds and a centerfire I've been wanting a while.

Have a 36cal in a plank in the close and then I want a true English Fowler for myself..and a pistol....then I don't know what I'm going to do lol. I will have my personal needs covered.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I haven't kept track of time.

Sometimes I put several hours in at a time. Other days, I am down there doing something else and see something and work on it a few minutes or whatever.

My work is getting faster and cleaner. But still learning a lot of stuff as I go.

Like I said, this is the first plank I've built from. I will probably only build from planks now unless I get a screaming deal on something I can build from. I find it easier to inlet everything into a plank. Roughing it out doesn't take much. From there it's a lot of fine details. I find the "2nd half" of the build to take as long as getting it functional and roughed in. Lots of scraping and fine adjustments. Then carving and my finishing takes a good bit of time and work.

By Tuesday at bedtime I hope to have the butt shaped, sights and touch hole done and wooden box roughed in. We'll see how much "life" gets in the way of that lol....if it goes well, I may get onto the forend...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice and things are looking great. I recently ordered a Kibler SMR, but still have a month or so until it arrives. I am both excited and nervous as I have never asssembled a kit like this. However your impressive progress with your projects is giving me some confidence.
Please continue to update your progress.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know Kibler has videos completing a Colonial. Not sure if he has one for the SMR...if not, the Colonial video will still show you the ropes.

His kits are pretty easy to put together. I believe now with him doing the SMR tangs and triggers via CNC, they aughta go together even easier. They'd be pretty difficult to screw up as long as you don't get carried away.

That's one thing....it can actually be difficult to remove tiny slivers of wood. Get your chisel beyond shaving sharp and cut slowly. Small slivers inside the inletting marks. Whatever the piece, you should essentially have a tiny solid line of transfer color on the inside of the inlet. If there's no color, there's a gap.

If you have questions feel free to send me a PM. I'm no professional builder...but I'd be glad to help if I can.

I got most everything I wanted to done despite the power going out for most of this evening. Sights are on. Touch hole liner is in. Butt and wrist is shaped more. Got the dovetails cut for my patch box. Didn't start the lid yet. Wanted to get the box roughed in before I completely shape the wrist and butt.

We'll see what the weather is like next week on my days off...I'd like to get them both to the range.

Yes, the sight is made from a copper penny. Ultimately I will likely make a silver one...but, wanted to practice/learn to make a front sight before I jump to something a little costly.... actually was fairly easy to do...I did wanna test copper as some swear it makes an excellent front sight. The rear sight was a casting and needs shaped down as does the front sight. I don't like big high sights....I find it easier to do when they are mounted on the barrel though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you sir for the offer. I will certainly find a reason to PM you.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That vise is a "pattern makers vise" or "gun stockers vise". That's actually how it is. Both jaws swivel 360 degrees. The inside is an epoxy like layer..durable but somewhat flexible and won't damage your wood or metal. The vise itself will also spin 360 degrees.

I really like it. If you watch Woodcrafters, they go on a pretty decent sale occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put in a very long day yesterday...

Did a little more shaping on the wrist and butt.

Made a key for a 2 piece box lid and got the top glued to it.

Always fun to take a big ole drill bit and sink it into the stock lol

Made a 1 piece box lid....still grossly oversized...I will end up with several lids...will probably only finish 1 or 2 but I get picky on fit and how they look and how the grain matches up etc lol.

Still waiting to shape the lock side of the butt....that flat is needed for the box lid to sit nice. Once I pick a lid I really like, I will blend it all back into the stock.

I roughed out the forestock.

And if that wasn't enough, I roughed out the upper forestock.

Oh...also finally pinned the trigger guard.

So now, it's a lot of blending and details and refining and slimming.

She's weighing in somewhere around the 8# mark. Very nice balance. Great feel. Shoulders and points very nicely. Aughta make a dandy rifle.

Maybeeeeee next week I can get them both to the range.....far too cold for me to hit the range this week when I had other stuff I could do lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts