The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16,958 Posts
why would the PGC want the treasurers office to hold onto THOUSANDS of pieces of mail for months ? if i was the treasurer i wouldnt want that mess cluttering up my office, in the mail they go.

·
Super Moderator
13,705 Posts
I still don't see a problem with buying your 1st. doe permit when you buy your regular hunting license then if you want a 2nd or 3rd permit mail in the pink envelope or get it on line. That would solve a whole lot of problems and cause a lot less anxiety.
You do realize that even with the recently high antlerless allocations there are still units that sell out before everyone who wants one gets one don;t you? What if the allocations were significantly reduced again? Which is likely to happen at some point in our future. What about the non-residents, how are you going to delay their purchase until the residents all get their chance at them, as is done now?

Are people prepared to stand in line for hours or stay up half the night to go on line at midnight while hoping and praying the system does't crash with hundreds of thousands of people trying to make their purchase as soon as the licenses go on sale?

If you don't think that would happen you are wrong. Many of the DMAPs, those that are sold on line now, are sold out well before daylight the first morning they are available on line. Just imagine if the same method was used to get your antlerless license.

No thank you!

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I called the Treasurers office over to the court house and was told the PGC doesn't want the permits mailed until Sept. but the nice lady at the Treasurers office said they were waiting for the checks to clear and will probably mail the permits first week in Aug.
Last year if I remember right I had my first permit before I mailed for the second one.
The only issue I have with that is that the scanners/apps that cash checks for retail are basically processing them immediately. They know right away if it bounces... so they’re
Basically sitting on them if they working under the old 10 business days to clear bit. That hasn’t been the case in ages...

·
Super Moderator
13,705 Posts
I called the Treasurers office over to the court house and was told the PGC doesn't want the permits mailed until Sept. but the nice lady at the Treasurers office said they were waiting for the checks to clear and will probably mail the permits first week in Aug.
Last year if I remember right I had my first permit before I mailed for the second one.
The Game Commission doesn't care if they send them out the same day they process them. The Game Commission just mandates a day in September when they MUST have them mailed out by.

Most County Treasurers prefer to hold them until the checks have cleared so they can hold any that sent a bad check. Then they send them all out at the same time, after things have slowed down, so they can deal with any mistakes or other issued discovered once people have received their license in hand during a period when they aren't so busy.

Most of them have been doing it long enough they know how to do it pretty efficiently.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You do realize that even with the recently high antlerless allocations there are still units that sell out before everyone who wants one gets one don;t you? What if the allocations were significantly reduced again? Which is likely to happen at some point in our future. What about the non-residents, how are you going to delay their purchase until the residents all get their chance at them, as is done now?

Are people prepared to stand in line for hours or stay up half the night to go on line at midnight while hoping and praying the system does't crash with hundreds of thousands of people trying to make their purchase as soon as the licenses go on sale?

If you don't think that would happen you are wrong. Many of the DMAPs, those that are sold on line now, are sold out well before daylight the first morning they are available on line. Just imagine if the same method was used to get your antlerless license.

No thank you!

Dick Bodenhorn
Well, its basically a game of whoever gets in first with the current mail-in process.
Could do the same online and not have someone waiting weeks to find out they missed out on their first choice, and possibly second choice because NR’s opens a week after residents.
Could limit the initial sale with license to resident license buyers only then open up to NR’s in July , and start an unsold round open to everyone at the same time or a day or two later.

I really don’t see any insurmountable hurdles to moving the process online, other than getting the General Assemby off their duffs to make the necessary changes to the law.

And to another poster’s point. I definitely recall receiving my first round tags a week before mailing my first unsold round envelope over the past several years.

Why certain treasurers are sitting on them this year that hadn’t previously escapes me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well here are some things I didn't consider or hadn't thought about much. It's best to leave the doe permit process alone then. Haha if it ain;t broke don't try to fix it.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
NRs now only have to wait ONE week to apply, after residents can apply. Not two weeks like they once did

Since I figured out WHICH county treasurer to send my application to some years ago, no problem with the current antiquated process. I usually drop my app off at the Hbg. PO on Friday evening and the doe tags have never been awarded later than the first Tuesday or Wednesday.

This year it was awarded Monday afternoon. Nothing much to grumble about, with that level of service? Don't really care when the doe tag shows up. None have ever been too late to use in archery seasons, had I wanted to use one then.

Reactions: bohunr
21 - 29 of 29 Posts