The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doe Tags
For the most part I have never really had a problem getting my tags, but there has been enough
Horror stories on this site as far as getting your tag (granted some self inflicted)
But it's really time to put this Prehistoric distribution system to rest.
My awarded tag is being shipped down to Philly from the Doylestown Pa. Treasurer to Newtown Pa. where I live
which is 15 minutes away. But No lets transport it 30 miles away so we can send it back.
It's a Joke and a laughing stock way to to distribute these tags.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Well they technically don't have to drop them in the mail until after Labor day.... so if yours is already moving, you're ahead of the game in some eyes.
Mine was issued 7AM on 7/14 and hasn't made it back yet... As long as they get to me before Archery opens, all is good. (especially the stack of 5C's that'll be in my 2nd Unsold round envelope.)

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Want to get rid of county treasurers being part of the doe tag process? Contact your state Reps and Senators, because that's where a change needs to take place.

Every time this has been brought up in the General Assembly, the county treasurers complain and their fellow politicians do nothing to change it.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I put in for doe tags, and I get my doe tags whether it’s fast or not. Never been without a tag when I latched my climber around a tree opening morning of archery. I just feel right now we have bigger fish to fry!

·
Super Moderator
13,705 Posts
Oh let's do it on the on line purchase system where you can pay for it one day and you might get it in a week or you might not get it at all unless and until you make phone calls all over the country for a few weeks. Then you might have it in two or three months.

The current County Treasurer antlerless allocation process has worked much better than the on line purchase process of the regular license has the past few years. Why mess with something that has worked almost perfectly for decades?

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Oh let's do it on the on line purchase system where you can pay for it one day and you might get it in a week or you might not get it at all unless and until you make phone calls all over the country for a few weeks. Then you might have it in two or three months.

The current County Treasurer antlerless allocation process has worked much better than the on line purchase process of the regular license has the past few years. Why mess with something that has worked almost perfectly for decades?

Dick Bodenhorn
While delivery times have been spotty, I’ve never had the online system issue me the wrong tag. Can’t say that about the CT’s. I’ve had more than one issue me a tag for the wrong WMU or claim they couldn’t read a TYPED WMU preference and return it as an incomplete app.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good luck getting the Treasurers office to give up the money they get from doe licenses , they count on that money and although many may not like it , it does work . I know many more people that are waiting for their license that they purchased on line than people who are having problems with the doe tags. As RSB said why mess with it if it works.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Had several 5C tags not show a week before opening day. Went to Bucks courthouse and bought several over the counter(a few years back when they had a gazzilion tags). Figured it was easier than going thru the reissue hassle. Beginning of October a pink envelope addressed to me not in my handwriting. Inside was a mangled pink env. with my writing and doe tags. Stamped on envelope was “Undeliverable, no such address”. Adress was correct, stamped too. Never figured thst one out. Donated 2 doe that year as I got 2 doe and buck in freezer.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
.....USPS issue..has nothing to do with PA GC........Erie county mail is sent to pittburg...then BACK to erie for distribution
130 miles...............260 flipping miles round trip.....saves the USPS money LOL

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
.....USPS issue..has nothing to do with PA GC........Erie county mail is sent to pittburg...then BACK to erie for distribution
130 miles...............260 flipping miles round trip.....saves the USPS money LOL

Just think how well they will do with mail in voting.......

·
Registered
496 Posts
Want to get rid of county treasurers being part of the doe tag process? Contact your state Reps and Senators, because that's where a change needs to take place.

Every time this has been brought up in the General Assembly, the county treasurers complain and their fellow politicians do nothing to change it.
Funny you mention that ... couple weeks ago, I took the time to send Sen Dan Laughlin (Chair of the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee) a facebook message on the subject. SB 485 would grant the authority to issue antlerless tags to the PGC. According to his message - if he doesn't get it done this year, its the top of the list for next year. So contact Sen Laughlin if you don't support this 1990 approach to issuing tags and express your support for his bill.

Dick Bodenhorn
Dick, I respect your opinion as much as anyone else's on this site, but come on now .... Just because it mostly works most of the time doesn't mean there isn't a better and more efficient way of doing things. Do you know of ANY other states still issuing tags this way? We're not that special to require this way of doing things. I actually went looking for other examples and couldn't find any.

Yes, there are examples of on-line licences not coming (my own son's was one of them), but a simple phone call fixed the issue with absolutely no hassle. The woman I talked to at the PGC couldn't have been nicer. In a couple weeks, when antlerless licenses start getting sent out - there will be examples of guys getting issued a 2B tag when they asked for a 2D (that happened to me a couple years ago). The county treasurers make mistakes too, and I can't believe any of them actually make much appreciable money issuing antlerless tags ... especially when you stop and think about the time these people are not spending doing their normal day to day work.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I still don't see a problem with buying your 1st. doe permit when you buy your regular hunting license then if you want a 2nd or 3rd permit mail in the pink envelope or get it on line. That would solve a whole lot of problems and cause a lot less anxiety.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That would work until the first time a unit is sold out within the first 2 weeks, before some residents have purchased a tag.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I called the Treasurers office over to the court house and was told the PGC doesn't want the permits mailed until Sept. but the nice lady at the Treasurers office said they were waiting for the checks to clear and will probably mail the permits first week in Aug.
Last year if I remember right I had my first permit before I mailed for the second one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts