The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got "the email" today from Mr. Allen Martin. My rifle is ready.

The previews he gave me of it are...well....awesome. I can't wait to put my paws on it.

I know some of you helped me with some answers and discussion a few years ago when I set out to get myself a new flinter. Some may recall me being full speed ahead on a Lyman Great Plains Rifle at the time. Obviously I went another direction.

More later when I get it home and have some shots with it under my belt. Very excited to have this project coming to a close, at least on the "build" stage. Now the "use" stage begins!

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Best of luck with your new rifle. I've been there with the waiting process as Paul Allison and Brad Emig put together two fine flintlocks for me over a period of twenty years. It is a grand day when they are finally in your hands, and then make their first trip to the range.

I'm pretty sure a new modern center-fire piece can't provide the same level of anticipation. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Family Heirloom on the way . make sure You take It out to the Deer woods. I have a cherished Flinter My late Uncle made. Told Him It was too nice to take Hunting. He was A Sgt. In the 17th. Airborne in WW2, and In His Sgt. Voice told Me He didn`t build the Dang thing to set in a Corner !!! Enjoy Your new Toy and show us some Pictures.....

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Berks, I'll say this... I'm as big a rifle looney as the next. I own 7 Winchester Model 70's, ranging from 1938 to 2012 in years of manufacture. Have a slew of US milsurp rifles, and some others that just "caught my eye."

But I've never had it in me to do a custom bolt gun. I had no idea this is where I'd wind up on the flintlock front, but it's been a fun ride so far. And I've got the ideas for "the next one" in my head already. Ruh-roh. I better not breathe a word of that around the wife. She's liable to suggest I store my flintlock somewhere it's not likely to fit real well.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron pa said:
Family Heirloom on the way . make sure You take It out to the Deer woods. I have a cherished Flinter My late Uncle made. Told Him It was too nice to take Hunting. He was A Sgt. In the 17th. Airborne in WW2, and In His Sgt. Voice told Me He didn`t build the Dang thing to set in a Corner !!! Enjoy Your new Toy and show us some Pictures.....
Make no mistake, this rifle will be happily displayed in my home, BUT...it's going hunting, and there's just no two ways about it.

I do have some pics he sent me, but I'm not sure I'm ready to post them just yet. Not sure I can explain that, but there it is. It's no reflection on the work that was done. Holy cow, it's a beaut. I think part of it is that I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe it'll feel more "real" once I've put hands on it.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
We understand completely, You want to be the first set of eyes, other than Allen's, to see it!

And of course you want all of us to gawk when you do show it!

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen it, just not "in person"!

I can tell you, Allen hit the nail on the head. The vague ideas I came into this with were condensed into a vision of a rifle that he then made. To a "T".

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
In the rifles I saw and handled, Allen always hits it! So I am sure I will gawk!

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Ron pa said:
Odds are very good that firearms such as these, will mean more to future generations of family, than any set of antlers will. Legitimate handling marks and patina only makes the firearm look like it has stories to tell. I've often thought about the potential.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone. Going to pick up the rifle on Sunday morning.

I have to say, there are few rifles that have been posted on here that have just been "wow" moments, too. There are some folks on HPA who have some very cool flintlocks.

Might be time for a "let's see 'em" thread?

Friends of mine who aren't from PA are baffled by the whole flintlock thing. To them, it's bordering on lunacy to hunt with these things. I'm thankful PA's had a flint season so I could learn about these rifles. I've been a flintlock hunter since I could hunt, I just never got farther into it than whatever I needed for the season, and nothing more. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to dig a bit deeper, and to live where we have such great access to resources such as folks who are known around the country for their expertise, the Gunmakers' Fair at Dixon's, the 18th Century Artisan Show in Lewisburg, and such. A wealth of info, close at hand for us in PA.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We based my rifle off the Schreit copy he has on his site. Mine is not identical to that, but close.

46" 1:56 barrel (62-cal), Davis lock, single trigger, sliding wood patch box, brass pipes/nose cap/entry pipe/lock plate/butt plate, and some subtle carving. And very curly stock.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's ok Tom ..
It must be a nice feeling getting ready to take possession of a new Flinter !!

Feel free to post the photos that I sent you ..... if you wanna !! But then again it's your baby !!!
See you Sunday ... Sorry about making you wait this long.
The wait is over !!

Allen

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, Allen, I can't see where you need to apologize for anything! You told me it'd be 3 years when I put down my deposit in Feb of 2012. The way I see it, you're a few months ahead of schedule!

I'd have been all excited to get it however long it had taken!

My wife was funny...."Why are you going so early on a Sunday?" That's like asking my kids why they're up at 5AM on Christmas.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You're more than welcome to bring your family along if you want to ..
I'll get fresh coffee on the drip and we'll have a early Christmas hootn and hollering !!

Perhaps I can get my wife to have some fresh frosted rolls .... hmm.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Allen, I'll send you an email here in a bit. Appreciate the hospitality for my family.

Good luck in the woods tomorrow! I'll be out with my 45-70 looking to test some new bullets on a doe.

For the group, I guess I made you all wait long enough, huh?

Here are the pics Allen sent me and has been kind enough to let me share with you all.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Wow!!! What a spectacular long gun! Beautiful work, Allen!

I can certainly understand, tdd, the anticipation to finally have that magnificent rifle finally in your hands. Best of luck with it, and carry it with pride for many years to come.

Now that is what I call a Christmas present!

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Berks.

You were part of the thread I made a few years ago when I was debating going with a newer GPR or getting into long rifles. As you can see, I did listen to what folks told me.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Wow, what a absolutely beautiful rifle!

Allen hit that one just right! And you Sir are the beneficiary!

I would not only be proud to carry it, I would be honored!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts