The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious anyone go after them!! My Daughter & family are going to a local Paw Paw Festival this weekend. Told them just go down along some secluded Susky River areas and you can get all you want!! They said ...really Dad!! Told them used to go for paw paws all the time in my younger days!!

Anyone else Paw Pawers??

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't bother with them but there is a woods about 2 miles from my house next to a field I hunt doves in that is full of Paw Paw trees. I am not crazy about them and my wife doesn't like them so I don't pick them. The farmer who owns the woods didnlt even know they were there or what they were until I told him.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorta funny my Daughter said the wild variety was tastier than the hybrid strains. They went to the Horn Farm Centers Paw Paw Festival in Hellam.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I always thought they taste like bad bananas and kind of flat and if not black skin ripe they have a pucker factor.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
My Daughter and Son-in law also went to the festival. They have 2 trees in there yards and they were loaded this year. Wife and I don't care for them.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the wild ones I used to get down along the Susquehanna River were pretty darn good if at the optimum ripened stage. The harvest window is so short which is likely why not too many are paw paw fans.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Don't have em here in my corner of 2D.

I've tried planting seedlings here twice to little or no avail...……..

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I can fill buckets with them. Loads of them on the mountain. Paw-Paw stands everywhere. Warden usually asks me for a report on them each year. Best during that very short window when they are yellow, and not dark yellow yet. I've been throwing/burying seeds in the woods behind my yard for years, still none.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have been trying to grow the trees for years. Never ate one. If you guys want to pick a few for seeds I'll pay the shipping.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been trying to grow the trees for years. Never ate one. If you guys want to pick a few for seeds I'll pay the shipping.
Laylow....call Judy Bono below. They have trees for sale but im sure they can fix ya up with seeds. With a tree you would be sure to at least have a good start.

The 2018 Pawpaw Fest will be held Saturday, September 22 and Sunday, September 23, 2018 at the Horn Farm Center (4945 Horn Road, York PA). It will run from 11:00am-3:00pm each day.

There is a $5 tasting fee (children under 2 are free) at the door.

* Celebrate America's largest tree fruit
* Sample 6 varieties of pawpaw
* Enjoy foods prepared with pawpaw
* Buy a pawpaw tree for your garden
* Tour our pawpaw orchard
* Help our native pollinators

Questions? Call Judy Bono at 717-586-1408.
See Less

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I was ten or so when when I found some but ad no idea what heck they were. When I asked Dad what they were he said Paw Paws, "where did you find them"? "On the hill across the road from the gristmill". At the time Dad keep the boat at now long since gone marina in the Maryland Susquehanna State Park across the river from Port Deposit.
That was the last I found any until three years ago. I was driving along back road when I spotted a few hanging on a tree next to the road. I parked the truck, looked around and saw at least another dozen or so trees farther back in the woods. The lady in the house across the road came over asking if I worked for the township, No I'm picking Paw Paws. "Oh that's what they are. There a quite a few trees behind my house. You're welcome to go back there and gather them".

One question, are there different types of them? Those I found in Maryland as a kid were maybe 4-5 inch top to bottom. , those around here are about the size of medium sized peach much smaller.

Bill

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Most people don't know what they look like in the woods, they have very big leaves and in a grove of them there will be all sizes bearing fruit and the fruit is hard to see.

Reactions: stackbarrel

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was ten or so when when I found some but ad no idea what heck they were. When I asked Dad what they were he said Paw Paws, "where did you find them"? "On the hill across the road from the gristmill". At the time Dad keep the boat at now long since gone marina in the Maryland Susquehanna State Park across the river from Port Deposit.
That was the last I found any until three years ago. I was driving along back road when I spotted a few hanging on a tree next to the road. I parked the truck, looked around and saw at least another dozen or so trees farther back in the woods. The lady in the house across the road came over asking if I worked for the township, No I'm picking Paw Paws. "Oh that's what they are. There a quite a few trees behind my house. You're welcome to go back there and gather them".

One question, are there different types of them? Those I found in Maryland as a kid were maybe 4-5 inch top to bottom. , those around here are about the size of medium sized peach much smaller.

Bill
I think the variety found wild(mative) are similar to the grafted variety they call the Susquehanna PawPaw. There are now several other grafted strains out there such as Shanandoah, Rappahannock, Allegheny, Potomac, Wabash etc. developed from cultivated grafts. The ones you found wild would be the native variety.

Launched my boat many times from the Lapidum Landing in Susquehanna Park you referenced. Never looked for paw paws there but the woods along that road running along the river is the type of areas ive found them up around the Safe Harbor & Holtwood dams.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The best concentration of wild pawpaw's ive found are normally in rich & moist bottomlands such as along rivers etc.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
We had a paw paw tree in our backyard when I was a kid, and I liked eating them.

Does anyone know if there are any either in Centre Country or within a reasonable drive?

Are there any along the Juniata River, near Lewistown or thereabouts?

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would think some of the bottomlands along the Juniata would be good locations. Never checked there...just a guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts