The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house and garage smell like Paw-Paws. Have a pile on my work bench, and brought some in the house for the wife.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I packed up the family and drove over to York for the annual paw-paw festival on Saturday. They were sold out of paw paws...

What kind of geographical settings are you finding them in and what do you like to do with them? I never even knew these were a thing until last year and am fascinated.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of them on the top and the south facing sides of the mountain I hunt. Lower part of SGL 170.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have a woods very close to my home that is loaded with Paw Paw trees. Most folks don't know what a paw paw tree looks like. When I to told the land owner his woods was full of paw paw trees he asked me what they were.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Paw paws are a fruit that grow in moist woods. The trees have big leaves and the fruit is elongated like a pear but no fat end. They taste something like a banana and have seeds. They are bitter if you pick them too early, the best time s when they start to develop black on the skin. I am not crazy about the flavow, when they are ripe the flesh is kinda like a pudding. Pictures :https://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/2014/09/photos-from-pawpaw-orchard-show-tell/

Reactions: Twowithone

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Lots of them on the top and the south facing sides of the mountain I hunt. Lower part of SGL 170.
You are not allowed to take them from game lands in case the question comes up..

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Thanks, that photo display was interesting. Are they localized or widespread throughout PA? I grew up in Western PA and never heard of them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I honestly don't know. I was born and raised in SE PA, Lebanon county and I have known about Paw paws since I was very young.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've never heard of or seen them here in Jefferson county but never really looked for them.
I'm interested in maybe making a batch of wine out of them.
Think it would be interesting.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
§ 135.41. State game lands.
(a) Restrictions limited. The following exceptions to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) pertain to lands and waters designated as State game lands:
(1) Mushrooms and fruits of berry-producing plants may be picked

The folks at hdqtrs. confirmed that you may pick paw paws on game lands. They said they are considered a berry. They also wanted to know where I was finding them. My warden asks me every year how the paw paws are doing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts