The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we no-tilled in roughly 3 to 3 1/2 acres of sweet corn (butter and sugar bi-color) and forage soy beans. By next week the plots will have the plot saver fence around it. By Monday we'll have the 4 acres of field corn and more forage soybean no-tilled. Then it's a matter of waiting to plant the Brassicas, Japanese Millet and Buck Forage Oats. All the vegetation is sprayed with Genesis II at a mix of 2.5 qts/25 gal H2O. We mix it heavy to make SURE the weeds are gone. Within 2 weeks it's all brown and dead. All seed gets planted and fertilized at the same time. After 4 weeks we'll put 100lbs/acre of Nitrogen. Right before "killing time" in late September we'll lay another 100 lbs/acre of N again. Now all we need is some night-time rain showers and were good to go!!! Best wishes to all of you who are getting down and dirty this Spring and Summer!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
stackbarrel said:
All the vegetation is sprayed with Genesis II at a mix of 2.5 qts/25 gal H2O. We mix it heavy to make SURE the weeds are gone. Within 2 weeks it's all brown and dead.
How does that work out long term? With the corn it may not be an issue, but with the low growing crops do you have problems with the weeds returning? I used to do the same thing until I was told by a chemical salesman that when you over rate it kills off the top of the plant so fast that the chemical doesn't get a chance to kill the root. Now I spray at rate and spray several times before planting.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
There are different rates for different situations. not so sure what he told you is accurate. Its not the top that dies, its the root that dies and then the top turns brown.

I have used 3 qts per acre on clover and had a devil of a time getting good kill. Always some survived. Now, when killing clover, I thro 2,4,D in as well.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to improve a clover stand, just spray some round-up on it and watch what the clover does in a month!! I have had excellent results with 2 and 2+ quarts per 25 gal H2O per acre. I have experienced some fields begin growing back if I used 2 qts/acre and didn't keep my spray rate down. There is a big difference spraying at 7 mph compared to 4 mph. I learned the hard way that saving on some time at application only results in needing another application before planting costing more $$ and time. The rate I quoted in my original post has these fields DEAD after a two week wait. Now the grain drill comes Tuesday so we can plant Switchgrass, and we're ready!!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's now Saturday and still no growback! Looking good for switchgrass.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
stackbarrel said:
It's now Saturday and still no growback! Looking good for switchgrass.
I wouldn't expect any for at least another month if then. Any grow back will need to come from damaged rhizome that was not not completely killed. If it is going to happen it takes a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts