The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a doe in archery season and shot a 6 pointer on Monday so my deer hunting season is over. Just like most of you guys deer hunting is my passion. So this morning I cleaned my up rifle and crossbow and put them away till next year.I always hate to see it come to an end.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I'm the opposite, I hunted very little in archery and haven't been out with the rifle yet. This Friday will be my first full day of hunting this year. I'm actually looking forward to the after Christmas flintlock season though.

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
I passed a young 10 point up in archery and passed him again this past Saturday with the rifle. He is not a bad buck at all and I was kicking myself after he walked through my last shooting lane a few days ago.

But, as I type this, I sure am looking forward to getting back out there Friday and Saturday for the last hurrah. My chance of success is low but I am still hunting.

The worst day for me is sitting in the woods, leaning against my favorite oak, on the last day of flintlock. I feel the same as you do at the moment for sure.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
^ I'm in the same boat, me and my wife had our first child on 30 Sept so no archery this year and I got out on opening day till 10 and this past monday until 11 and no legal shootable deer.

Having a kid at the beginning of hunting season was a serious timing error on my part haha. At 31 years old its been a pretty drastic change in my lifestyle haha.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
burninghxcsoul said:
^ Having a kid at the beginning of hunting season was a serious timing error on my part haha. At 31 years old its been a pretty drastic change in my lifestyle haha.
My girlfriend has long since been made aware that any planned procreation will only happen during the months of May or October... should keep the birth clear of spring gobbler or the fall seasons

·
Registered
903 Posts
My tags have been filled for over a month now but I still take every opportunity to sit in the woods. Formulating a hit list for target bucks in 2016 is fun.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
burninghxcsoul said:
Having a kid at the beginning of hunting season was a serious timing error on my part haha. At 31 years old its been a pretty drastic change in my lifestyle haha.
You
aint
seen
nuttin
yet.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I still have no buck in Pa. and Ohio, but there is plenty of hunting left. I passed a lot of nice bucks this season and the older I get the less I care about filling my tags. When the time is right it will happen and if not we will try again next year.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
burninghxcsoul said:
^ I'm in the same boat, me and my wife had our first child on 30 Sept so no archery this year and I got out on opening day till 10 and this past monday until 11 and no legal shootable deer.

For next 16 years count on Birthday Partys first weekend of Oct.
My daughter was born on Sept. 18 in the mid 80's that was when bow season opened in Md. Wife just had to have those partys on Sat so everyone could come over. Enjoy the times with your children, they grow up quick.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
I still have no buck in Pa. and Ohio, but there is plenty of hunting left. I passed a lot of nice bucks this season and the older I get the less I care about filling my tags. When the time is right it will happen and if not we will try again next year.
I'm working toward this attitude but the itch still overcomes me when I get a nice buck in range. Probably why I have never killed a ten point or better, a nice 8 or 9 point shows up first and I put the tattoo on their rib cage...

·
Registered
124 Posts
It never stops for me. My tags are filled, but I will have my cameras back out Sunday and will keep them out until antlers start to drop. Then it is time to shed hunt, alter/hang stands,scout for turkeys and find some walleye. And then more walleye, food plots, glassing for velvet bucks and putting cameras back out. Then the season opens again. It's amazing I got married and am still married. I guess it helps she likes all of this stuff too.

Good luck to all of those that are still out looking to fill a tag.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Still have 2 tags left.. took a big doe last Saturday. I seen a BIG boy last Friday that didn't give me a shot I am just hoping he shows back up this Saturday.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm actually relieved once hunting season closes. The pressures off and i start to focus on next season. I get just as excited to start my habitat work for the next year and beginning to prepare for the next season. I'm already looking to move tree stands to new areas and have my hinge cuts and clear cuts laid out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Varmintmist said:
burninghxcsoul said:
You
aint
seen
nuttin
yet.
I used hunt so much it was rare to see me home... Until my wife wanted to divorce me... Or start a family... I hunted summer for woodchucks, fall small game.. Then deer... Then fishing! If nothing to do I crow hunted on Sundays...

Gotta get kids going... But I'm glad my baby making days are looooong over, I do not look back on thoes days... my kids are all in older teenage years now, my oldest son graduated last year I bought him a wrapped present to his graduation party, guess what it was? An empty suitcase! Was his graduation gift, it was just for laughs (I'm not that mean! I do love my kids)... I'm getting out a lot more like I used too... In fact when my daughter leaves she will have her suitcase in her right hand... Left hand will be "momma's" suit case... Just joking! Family is important more than hunting!

My nephew's wife just had a baby he been complaining he missed most rifle season...I simple told him it just bad timing... He looked puzzled... I told him well, gotta "plan" baby during rifle season, that way the baby will be born before next rifle season... And you might get a few more days of deer hunting...He had a smirky grin on his face... Best advice I could give to another man that loves hunting at same time wants a family... Plan it out carefully!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts