The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be putting new tires on my Polaris Sportsman soon. I like everything I've read about the Mudlites and was actually about to buy the XL's. But, the XL's dont come in stock size on the rear and I'd have to increase (ir decrease) the width by an inch and the rim width so I'd have to buy new rims if I put the XL's on.

The AT's do come in the stock sizes but the tread is about 3/8 of inch less.

Anyone put either on their Polaris? What size did you go with on the rear?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think you are confused on the tire sizing. You can put a wider or taller tire on a 12 inch rim, as long as it is a tire for a 12 inch rim. The rim width is standard. I recently put new tires on my polaris and went 1 inch taller on all four tires, 2 inches wider on the fronts and 1 inch wider on the back. Doing so made the machine much more stable and puts alot more tire on the ground.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Got you, my Polaris has 12 inch rims in front and 10 inch on rear.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you put the bigger tires on your polaris did you use the stock rims or order new rims?

My stock size in the rear is 25x11-10 and can only get the AT's. The XL's with the deeper tread that I'm thinking of ordering are 25x12-12 and are already mounted on new rims. I'm thinking I would like the larger width but not sure if they will work on my Sportsman.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just a little bit of info on the tires. I had a Polaris and sold it for a Brute force. The Mudlite XL are great and thats what I put on the Brute Force. A buddy of mine has a Brute as well and put the AT's on it. He told me that the AT's are a good tire as well with good traction BUT they are heavy and really put a strain on his bushings. Any aftermarket mud tire will be heavier than stock. What year is your Sportsman? Mine was an '07 and the rear size was 25x11x12. You should be OK with the 25x12x12 as far as clearance but there may be a slight loss in power from the size increase. Contact your local dealer and they can give you the best info

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2001 Sportsman 500 HO. Was the loss of power that noticable? I agree the tires will be heavier than the stock, but Im thinking the slippage now is causing more of an issue for me.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have an 04 Sportsman 700 and have 12 inch rims front and back stock. I didn't have to get new rims. As for the weight of the tires, you do notice a power loss but the gain in traction and stability is worth the loss. Since I went 2 inches wider on the front, I also had to trim my fender flares to stop the tires from rubbing. Easy fix.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update... I put Mudlite XL's on my Polaris 500 Sportsman. I really didn't notice any loss in power and the added traction has been incredible. Was hauling stone all day yesterday and was very pleased with their performance.

Now I can't wait for the snow to come and see what they do while plowing...

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
You'll love them in the snow too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts