The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the last three nights I have had dreams about being streamside catching trout on the fly. It made me crazy to not be fishing in real life, so I bought my '17 license today and plan to hit the stream ASAP. Western PA, the water is up pretty good in all the bigger streams and rivers around here so I will be targeting smaller water. I am thinking pink egg patterns and maybe some small nymphs? Has anyone been out lately to get an idea what flies may work?

Registered
I have been out a few times this winter and here is what has worked.

- beadhead pheasant tail in chocolate brown, natural, and olive. I tie mine with different dubbing instead of herl sometimes to add a little flash
- zebra midges (any color) and any midge larva, pupa patterns have worked.
- olive and soft hackle. This is just a bead, olive thread and a soft hackle feather.

I havnt messed with to many other nymph patterns since those were catching fish but I would guess hares ear, caddis, and black stone fly nymph patters could be effective as well. Also if you are hitting a stream with limestone influence sow bug and scuds would be good to have on had.

For streamers, you can take your pick here. I have caught fish slow stripping, slow snap jigs, and dead drifting.
- mohair leechs, buggers, and slump busters have been effective for me.

Finally, I have been messing with north country spiders and have found luck with olive, brown, and tan bodies. I have been catching fish on the dead drift, no takers on the swing.

Good luck let us know how you do. I will probably be out this Friday if the rain this week doesn't have everything messed up and the temp stays above 20*. Temps around 40+ would be better.

Registered
I went out Saturday afternoon for two hours. I made the mistake of reading Trout Bum this week. Temperatures in the high 20s with a slight drizzle off and on in Bedford county. Tried some different go to nymph patterns. I didn't catch anything, the water was actually a lot lower than I expected after the rain.

Hope to get out next weekend too if the weather holds up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been out twice now since I bought my license. The first day I caught two with hookups on three (fishing small mountain freestoners for natives) and the same today. I was only out for a short time on both trips, but I may go somewhere again on my way home from school today. Pink salmon eggs and a rusty brown woolly bugger were working in both streams I tried. If the nice temps come this week I will definitely be going again.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, you can fish the special regulation waters (Class A waters are special regulations) all year round. Any waters not listed in the trout regulations can be fished as well, covered under Commonwealth Inland Waters regulations. Approved trout waters are open to fishing according to the regulations until the first week of March usually (is it different this year? Not sure...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.