The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put out 9 trail cams yesterday, checked tree stands in place and did some maintenance on some other stands. Two more to put out today.

Checked several locations for deer activity and found some of the heavily used trails during turkey season, and last fall trails are not being used yet. I did find a lot of activity around streams which are low due the the recent dry spell and a few drying mud holes are being visited by doe's and fawns.

Found a few bed downs mostly close to food & water sources..don't think the deer are moving around much...don't blame them.

Very hot now not many scouters out yet.

And of course heard the coyotes sound off to answer a fire truck siren.

Will check the cam's in about 3-4 weeks to relocate the ones with little to no activity and move a few cams in on the location of a sizable if one is found.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have been running cams for about 2 months now, but to me, trail cam hunting is just that.....you may get a little info about what deer are in that area at this time of year, but come October most of that information is downright useless.

Its fun, not doubt, and if you keep yourself from invading the woods on a regular basis, it doesn't really hurt anything, but as far as helping me score a deer come October, I am kidding myself if I think a pic of a buck in Velvet does anything more than make me excited.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of reminds me of the years I ran traps. Trying to catch a good picture. However, it does encourage me to get up early mornings, bad weather days and during long spans of not seeing a decent buck by knowing there are some nice bucks in the area.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Muppet said:
I have been running cams for about 2 months now, but to me, trail cam hunting is just that.....you may get a little info about what deer are in that area at this time of year, but come October most of that information is downright useless..
Agree completely I only run one camera that was a gift. It's only used on my family's property where It's unlikely to be stolen. I love it and it is a lot of fun but I'd rather spend the money on other items (not to say I don't want more lol)

At this point I'm focusing on shooting as much as possible, knocking on some doors, and finishing up doe tag apps. After Labor Day I'll be doing some light pre season scouting, picking trees for the climber, relocating a couple stands, and replacing ratchet straps.

The itch is strong this summer... New bow and new properties no better combo

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I have two camera's out, one in Ohio and one in Pa. Dick's Sporting goods had Cuddebacks on sale today for 79.00 so now I have three camera's. Plan on adding a camera in Ohio tomorrow. It's too early for me to zero in on the bucks or area I plan on hunting. I look at maps for area's I plan on scouting, been doing some scouting, shoot my bow a lot and get my equipment and body in shape.

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
i still run cameras but i find myself waiting until closer to the season to pin down big deer. i find i experience much more success finding a deer and hunting him where i believe he is. it's not for everyone but deer can do a lot from now until october. it's nice to see what's in an area but i rely on glassing, driving late at night and spotting almost exclusively.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had good luck getting bucks in front of the Cam's in July and August. I believe when they are in velvet and the weather...days and nights are hot they do not do much traveling so I zero in on the cover near feeding areas and water.

As Sept. approaches I spread my cams in the area of my best photo's to include buck trails, dippers, and mock scrapes in a effort to get a more up to date fix of their location and travel patterns. Once I have located a nice buck I switch from pictures to video. However, they are very elusive and the major amount of good buck pictures I get are between 2-4 AM.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Scouting and prep should never really end for serious and dedicated hunters. Whether it's hanging cameras, messing with stands, shooting, or even just thinking new ideas over in your head. Very few days go by when I'm not thinking on how to better my self as a hunter and how to improve upon last years season.

We have had 12 cameras out since about mid June. Just to see what's around. I don't think you can really start to pattern until mid September or so.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
I wanted to get mine out...but I think I'm just going to wait another month..then put them over homeade scrapes and enjoy the pics...

Don't know why...I can't get excited for archery season this year...

Really need to get a string ordered lol...if I admitted mine was 10 years old you guys would either say I'm a liar, or I never shoot/hunt, or I'm asking for disaster...

The only fact is I'm flirting with disaster...I haven't hunted/shot every year but most of them...I keep it waxed and stored in the case out of heat etc...I've been on the go for most those years and just never got the string done..

I KNOW it has to happen...I won't even draw it till it's done...looks good..but I now there's a lot you can't see...

I am pretty fired up about a rut funnel I am kicking myself for not hunting last year...I went through in rifle season and about cried..I've never seen deer trails like that...scrapes every 10 yards through most the stretch..rubs everywhere...I told myself to go there 10 times last season and always talked myself out of it....I got a pic of a pretty good survivor after the late season...it's nasty nasty thick all around and I shouldn't have an issue with anyone else being in the area...

Will probably put one of my cams in there and leave it there all season and see what Intel I can gain for future seasons...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.