The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my first post AFTER the HPA/Cresson Outdoor Expo…let me first say….Whhhhhewwwww!!!!! I am not sure how I am going to now fill my days and nights without looking for post-it notes I jotted down, answering PMs and e-mails, or laying in bed looking at the ceiling thinking about the things we may of overlooked. I do know however that my wife and kids will come up with something for all the sudden “free time and mind” Dad has now.

I think the best way for me to cover all my thoughts and summarize this event is to just jot them down as they come to my head…so here it goes , the pouring out of the tea kettle that is my head.

Cresson Sportsmen- You gentleman and ladies were some of the hardest working, friendliest and patient people I have met. Your organizational skills should be commended and the effort you put forth to ready your club for this event will not be forgotten. I am planning on coming down to your Coyote Hunt in early 2010 just to hang with you fellas again…maybe this time without the walkie talkies and clipboards. Just hangout and help out with your event if I can. God Bless you all.

Grouchy Coyote and your lovely Mrs…can’t say enough about you folks. Fairly newcomers to the HPA scene that fell in love with what we do here so much that it inspired not only to take this event on by the horns but start a similar internet endeavor for the campers of this state with Camping PA.com. Tom I think your wife said it best when I was preparing to leave yesterday, that it is indeed a start of a friendship of two families , and my family looks forward to crossing paths you guys again as I am sure there will be a campfire involved. I think you guys know how much I appreciate meeting folks like you.

Smiley Coyote and your lovely Mrs…now I know where you got your screen name. You guys were a breath of fresh air for a tired RB at times. Whether it was a smile as you guys buzzed by in the Yamaha off to do a chore, or seeing you rove around to capture this event on camera. I also feel like we got another real friendship down there, looking forward to crossing paths with you guys again as well.

I can say this about the Cresson Area and its people, if we ever get booted out of Warren County for any reason expect a new family in that area…WOW just totally impressed.

HuntingPA (Wayne)- As always my friend, nice to see you in person once again. When you and I met for the very first time the day we went to buy this site I am not sure we knew what we were getting ourselves into. But I think both you and I had a mission accomplished moment sitting around the fire watching the fireworks and seeing all the buzz caused by this, especially with the youngsters, we done good bud, real good.

Bluetick- For Gods sake take a nice break now. You too have helped this site come further than perhaps it was destined too in 10 years both in its role in the scheme of things and in its ability to do things such as this event. It was great to see you again and meet the Mrs. (and the little beagle too)…take some time to heel up a bit and refresh PLEASE…we all need the rest from time to time, if these keyboards become ball and chains we are doing this all wrong, never lock the clasp here. We said it on day one , this is a website, if we can’t have fun here then it does not serve its true purpose.

Man this is going to be one heckuva long post, imagine that…LOL..I might have to condense some of this and maybe do a few more than just one post.

Team Peppy/Dutch and Gal – First time meetings after so much behind the scenes work together and never meeting. Perhaps one of the biggest takeaways for me. Despite my constant search for arrows on the 3D course flinging out of my recurve, I enjoyed my “Shining Moment” and too see y’all so darn happy for me to connect on that loooong shot after missing so many other close ones said it all. (also helped me prove my crossbows may be good things). I still think those 3D targets are about 2 feet under true life animal size. The good news is I have determined that my bow season will be gutting, dragging and butchering for others…I did not earn my stripes to send anything at a deer this year, the practice, practice , practice point was also well proven, granted I am a bit more in tune out there then with a walkie talkie crackiling and me looking at my watch. You guys impressed with your skills but more importantly with your dedication to the site (now getting back to Gal to here) and Hunt of a Lifetime with you time in the tank. Look forward to sharing the season here with you guys on a more personal level now. You all are very dedicated to the Hunting element of this great State and all the work you did for this event will not soon be forgotten. THANK YOU.

Bootmud and the boys of KCC – I appreciated you guys coming out, I know the work involved in setting up the booth and the traffic there was not as heavy as some places but an impressive display. We condensed things down on Sunday to around the stage and it worked out better, a note for the future. Curtis we did get the $25 bid for you when 35Whelen showed up on Sunday…so eventhough you did not get wet on Saturday and we did not run the dunk tank on Sunday, your noted effort for HOAL should be commended as well. You have a great business and such an impressive line of products. You will be receiving and PMs form Wayne and I this week to discuss some things.

Gotta Take a break…this will be one post in a very long series on this thread….i apologize for spelling, typos and editing…but if you read many of my posts it is par for the course. Get the thoughts out first...edit later, that is how I roll.

I got plenty more...the tea kettle is quite full...
and needs emptied.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Rooster!

It was a great event! We are pleased to have been chosen for the site!

I also am not sure what I will be doing with all the free time now...

But it was all worth it! WAY TO GO WITH A GREAT SITE GUYS!
I could only hope that CampingPA.com could have such a great following some day as well.

It was nice to meet everyone there, and I do apologize for not being available to BS as much as I would have liked to.

The walkie talkies were a great resource, but also a never ending distraction as you noted.

It was great getting a few minutes break to shoot some of the Duck Shoot with you... At least we didn't completely tank it..

I look forward to many more adventures with your family as well... The next time had better have a campfire involved, and alot more sitting around and enjoying it...

We cannot begin to even thank all those who made the weekend a great event! The support from the local businesses were absolutely incredible as well.

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post 2 of ?

35Whelen…Another newcomer to HPA that has jumped right into the thick of things. Your donation of the IL spring turkey hunt at Lighthouse Deer Hunts for two and vest, that helped us put together a great array of prize packages certainly worth theiw weight in gold. I believe I heard it was a gentlemen in his 80’s who shoots a lot of trap at the club that won the prize. I hope that hunt works out to be a memory of memories for all involved. Rich I will continue to stay in touch…but my guess is the next time we cross paths it will be with frost and snow on the ground and anticipation in the air. First class, and thank you for all the travel you have done because of this site in your short tenure here.

Rabbit410 – Perhaps gets the nod for bringing the biggest emotional element to the event, and your organizing of the Cresson Legion to kick things off for us with a tribute to those fallen, served and serving. We plan to send them a thank you and as you know no one here at HPA will EVER forget the sacrifices that are made daily by these men and women. It was a pleasure meeting you and having you take this event up the higher power.

Deadon4 and the scouts- Although I never got by to taste any thing out of the dutch oven, seeing those boys around the campfires and tents, on the shooting ranges and 3D courses and asking where they can help does a lot to lift ones spirits on the direction of the next generation. What an incredible way to add to the event. A fine group that will make many folks proud throughout there lives. Hats of to all the adults that stayed and all the families that showed up to watch the boys get their newest batch of badges and awards. As a father of a Scout, you have my true admiration for making the effort to shape this young men. Also, of course that you for the use of tables and chairs and for the very gently used mattresses to for my camp up here. I can’t wait to try them out…trust me there.

Woodsnut/gunmaster12/Nes/PPS and so many others I got the chance to shake hands with- Nice to meet all of you , even briefly. Whenever any of those screennames pop up in a post it will certainly have new meaning to me. Look forward to sharing the season with you guys. Some of the comments and encouragements to keep on keeping on around here certainly were medicine to me.

Commissioner Ralph Martone - it certainly was a pleasure meeting you Ralph and also accepting your nice donation to the cause of Hunt of a Lifetime and getting to talk to you personally. When you sent me that e-mail after my rather horrific accident coming home from Quebec to check to make sure my son and I were truly OK after that experience spoke volumes to me about character. Seeing you at the event only confirmed that. Your words of encouragement on keeping the site at the fore front of the issues and but more importantly the role it plays in celebrating hunting itself certainly topped off a tank that was running out of fuel. I wish you the best during your term as Commissioner, the decisions are never going to be easy, but I am glad to see they will be well represented.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Nice perspective RB and a nice read that highlights the events and the meaning behind it all.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
RB,

It was a pleasure meeting you and a few other board members. It seems like there was alot more going on Saturday than Sunday. The kids had a great time and thought the helicopter landing was cool. When we got home the kids were so pumped, they were shooting their bows and BB guns all evening!!!!

Thanks to Cresson Sportmans Club for letting us shoot some clay birds.

My kids are asking when the next one will be, hopefully we can spend the weekend at the next one!

GTF, the jelly is amazing!!!!!!! You should sell that stuff!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,484 Posts
As I said in another thread on the event.

I have yet to meet anyone from HPA personally, but after reading all of the posts regarding the 10th anniv. event I feel like a missed a family reunion!!

Great to hear everyone had a good time

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys I got ton more ta say on this ;)...this may take days though.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Well, we got days!!

How 'bout taking a breather and posting some pics.

·
Registered
19,377 Posts
It was great meeting you Rooster and HuntingPA as well. Thoroughly enjoyed the day Saturday and the food was out of this world.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Man you're not kidding, the food itself would have been worth the trip.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
The wife and I were totally blown away with the fireworks. A great display of about 20 minutes. Another over the top feat of coordination by Grouchey Coyote and the Cresson gang!

I really enjoyed the folks I met and the ones I met again. The camp fire was just what it was intended to be. A relaxing time with music and friends. Kids and dogs running around, with all having a great time with no other cares in the world.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
I forgot to add, the kids loved the pickle on a stick! Who'd a thought!!!! Something I've never seen! LOL

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Rooster,

It was nice to meet you in person. I enjoyed the weekend immensely. I had the pleasure to talk with Larry, Peppy, Bluetick, Gunmaster, Wayne, and several others, what a great gang of people but you know the old saying " Birds of a Feather Flock Together" To phrase the weekend "Great People Gathering Together". Thats what HuntingPA is all about, but now it has been bonded with a physical presence. I hope you have many great nights at camp well rested with no morning backaches. Until next time

" Happy times in the field"
Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
It was great to meet everyone. I was glad that my family was able to attend as well, wasn't expecting that but last minute changes seem to be common place for my family.

With that said I'm sorry I couldn't make it on Sun.

bootmud

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hi Bootmud,

it was nice to meet you now I have an inperson face to go with the fun I had in early summer with the Hog hut. I like the backstabber call I got this weekend, driving my wife nuts with it. Thanks for the demo and now I can make a Bird in distress call " just roll the tounge"

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
LONG BEARD 101 said:
I forgot to add, the kids loved the pickle on a stick! Who'd a thought!!!! Something I've never seen! LOL
Those garlic pickles were delicious indeed!!

Never saw a stand like that before either, very unique.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Guy's Gal's..... GREAT get-together..... A BIG HAT'S OFF to EVERYONE that made this happen.... It was worth the 277 mile (one way) drive.... I'd do it again next week-end.... Being born and raised in Western Pa. it's nice to come back and see truly friendly great folk's... Only down fall of the day was making that drive back and listening to the Steeler's lose.... LOL

Gal... a special THANK YOU to you for taking the time to score my shed, and giving me some pointer's on where Yogi hang's out in Western Pa. You and Dutch will have to attend one of our fishing get-together's in 2010.... To all the new FRIEND'S I met and chatted with, keep in touch.... Rich

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a TON more to thank here (people , organizations, vendors) and plan too...I made a list while driving home yesterday and rehashed the 2 days.

BTW, the Chicago Bears are not on the list...nor is Jeff Reed at this point.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
RoosterBooster said:
I got a TON more to thank here (people , organizations, vendors) and plan too...I made a list while driving home yesterday and rehashed the 2 days.

BTW, the Chicago Bears are not on the list...nor is Jeff Reed at this point.
Jeff Reed is on the list we just won't say what list.... LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts