The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...when you finally find a load that shoots good out of your flintlock! I think I found the load my Lyman Deerstalker finally likes! I shot this 50 yard group using 80 grains of Goex 2F in the barrel, 4F in the pan, and 240 grain Hornady PA Conicals. This is a 5 shot group I shot today. The shot to the right must have been me flinching or something because the 4 other shots are all touching each other. Man that feels good!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Awsome,thats really impressive
I'am taking mine to the range tomorrow.I cast my own conicals with a Lee mold can wait to see how they fly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have the identical set-up (gun) but don't use it much cause i can never group well... was shootin 3f powder and a lighter weight... i'm gonna have to experiment more...
thanks for the advise

good shooting

G

·
0 Posts
As good as that looks I have a concern. The lack of definition in the string as well as the lone ranger almost looks like you have some "tumbling" going on.

See as how I don't get by here much I don't know your history with the gun, have you tried "hotter" loads?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
History with the gun.... Just bought the gun a few weeks ago.This is my first flintlock and my first time shooting a flintlock. I have tried shooting PRB with 70 grains and the PA Conicals with 70 grains and both loads did not group this tight. When I bumped up the charge to 80 grains it really tightened up the group. I am new to this so explain what you mean by lack of definition and tumbling. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And now that I am thinking about it I have a question for the experts. The box says the PA Conicals are .512 diameter and I noticed they loaded easier then the PRB combination I was shooting which was .490 ball and .20 lubed patch which would make that .510 diameter.I know its not that much of a difference but the PBR seemed much tighter to load. Any thoughts on why that is? I run one 1 wet patch and 1 dry patch after every shot.

G

·
0 Posts
Sorry to post and run but I have been away.

What I am seeing is not a "cleanly cut" hole, rather it looks like the bullet may be tumbling (end over end) instead of spinning through. That look could also be caused by lack of backing on the target.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts