The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spending the winter doing an inventory and what if I have to replace or get some new product. Is it still available and how new is new? Of all my hobbies, archery about driving me nuts.

Of course, I knew my two bows were long gone. You watch six months and the bow name seems to disappear, automatically.

The one manufacturer from whom I use aluminum arrows changed. Discontinued some of what I used; upgraded, er made more expensive another make; And they don't make alluminum anymore; they're alloy. Where is my engineering dictionary ????

Carbons are like learning a new language-"what's that size mean?" They all seem to have different codes.

Today I looked at vanes on the internet. Plain ole simple vanes. Well of course, my present supply of vanes was discontinued. Plain vanes aren't in any longer. It's a wonder those vanes of mine ever got to the target. It's almost like learning vane physics. I guess arrows need high tech advances these days.

A few weeks ago, I went through what other archery accessories were available. Some are also gone; some have changed names; some are made by more companies.

I'm just trying to get in some practice and archery hunting, later this year. I have no inclination to be one of the top ten 3D shooters. I just want to fling some arrows, meet my accuracy and climb some tree and wait for a deer.

Haven't read yet if there are new hunter harnesses, which will safely help you parachute from thirteen thousand feet and your tree stand. Those fellas sure are making it complicated.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I agree. Most of the stuff they are trying to sell us, 90% of us don't need. As far as the arrows though, once you go carbon, you'll never go back!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yea i thought the same thing till i bought carbon arrows. Now i woln't even consider aluminum arrows,

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Out with the old, in with the new. Not sayin I like it or hate it. Probably a combination of the both. Modern archery equipment is like a computer. It is outdated as soon as you take it out of the box, and the value drops about as fast.

There has been some really good upgrades over the years IMO. I love carbon arrows. Most are sized in a poundage range. Far easier than the old aluminum chart. They wouldn't even give you grains per inch in the recommended range chart. Is a 2216 lighter or heavier than a 2117?

The arrow rests have come along way. I like the WB. Others like a drop away. Pick one. The old TM hunter style that was so popular a little while ago needed to go away. It was good for target shooters, but left something to be desired for hunters.

As far as new bows go....I would get the best that you can afford and was comfortable to you, and stick with it till it gave you problems. There are some brands I wouldn't even consider. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but for the premium just aren't worth it to me. My biggest problem is finding deer, not hitting them. I have seen that the advancements have gotten a little smaller year to year. They just change the name to make you think it's new and improved.

If you hate the changes that much I would suggest getting into traditional archery. I've been pondering it for awhile now. I shot a compound instinkively for years, and see no reason I couldn't do well with traditional. I just don't have the cash right now to get into it.

After you get into traditional you can just forget all about the newest, latest and greatest.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Biggest disappointment to me is seeing that almost ALL of the gear being sold today is coming out of China! Arrow shafts, sights, broadheads, etc. Arrow shafts are a prime example, change the graphics, advertise the heck out of them and add $20-$30 dollars to the price. Same shaft with the same specs as before. Also smaller companies that get bought out by a much larger company that changes the packaging and charges alot more for the same product.

·
Banned
1,419 Posts
There's only one constant in life....and that's change.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When i first changed over to carbons,they were around 45 dollars a dozen.These were the original beamens expensive yes.However it was 10 years before i had to buy another doz.Shot 8 deer with one arrow easy to put together etc...They were'nt very popular however so the makers made them fatter more like alluminum.Finally i could not find the components for mine anymore so i upgraded to slimtecs.Not much differens in thickness and more durable ,although i wish they would offer the outside components as an option.My old eyes cant take putting them little threads in the end of the arrow anymore.Oh yeah one doz slimtecs 90 to 120 dollars.However if they last 10 years - knocks fletching and broadheads thats still only 12 dollars a year.Alluminum back in 1990 cost much more than that, unless you like shooting bent arrows.

·
Super Moderator
13,882 Posts
wildernessjournies said:
When i first changed over to carbons,they were around 45 dollars a dozen.These were the original beamens expensive yes.However it was 10 years before i had to buy another doz.Shot 8 deer with one arrow easy to put together etc...They were'nt very popular however so the makers made them fatter more like alluminum.Finally i could not find the components for mine anymore so i upgraded to slimtecs.Not much differens in thickness and more durable ,although i wish they would offer the outside components as an option.My old eyes cant take putting them little threads in the end of the arrow anymore.Oh yeah one doz slimtecs 90 to 120 dollars.However if they last 10 years - knocks fletching and broadheads thats still only 12 dollars a year.Alluminum back in 1990 cost much more than that, unless you like shooting bent arrows.
Keep them on the target they don't bend so quickly....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thats why i went to carbon,got tired of not being able to reuse my arrow after a kill!Also my tight groups were denting and bending arrows!Just my experience!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Asajoe1 said:
Biggest disappointment to me is seeing that almost ALL of the gear being sold today is coming out of China! Arrow shafts, sights, broadheads, etc. Arrow shafts are a prime example, change the graphics, advertise the heck out of them and add $20-$30 dollars to the price. Same shaft with the same specs as before. Also smaller companies that get bought out by a much larger company that changes the packaging and charges alot more for the same product.
easton arrows
USA

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yes archery is expensive but i find that I spend alot less on my bow than on golfing
arrows 100-200 a yr
strings and tuning 100 a yr
trips to a 3D course 10 to 20 a round 300 a yr
total 600 a yr
Got 1000 wrapped up in clubs and its 40 to 80 a round. Playing once a week 24 weeks not including hotdogs and beer at the turn 1400 a year

Anybody here want good used golf clubs?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I shot two deer with my bow this year, and broke 3 arrows
.Seems when you knock them straight to the ground they will fall and break arrows. So after after the last couple years I managed to loose a few, and had a few break durring the kill. I also broke one during practice when I centered the knock on an arrow already on target. Now I'm down to 4 arrows. I'm gonna have to break down and get another dozen.

·
Registered
526 Posts
One of the great things about the sport of archery is that there are choices. When it comes to "how much" one wants to spend--thats a matter of priorities. Each, and every individual has to examine things, and determine how much they can really afford to spend after all there REAL bills etc. are paid--then with whats left one can spend what they have on archery tackle etc.. For me I could complain with the best of them, but realize that things in this sport as far as cost can be easily be brought down by each individual making personal choices. Just recently I looked at a Hoyt carbon matrix bow--with NO intent on buying it at an msrp of about $1600.00. Then there are sights, rests, releases, arrows--ALL way beyond $100.00. If one has the cash, and can afford this--hey-its your money, and your choice. If your like me--right now I really haven't been too impressed with much of the so called advancements in archery. I made a simple choice--do buy the products.I still shoot my compound, and made the choice long ago to hunt within my financial limits. One of the best choices I made was to see through all the smoke, and hype, and just simply hunt. One doesn't need all of the so called gadgets, latest camo etc. to take game. Its all about priorities, and choice on an individual level. One can choose the latest in bows etc., or basic gear--it will all kill game. My recommendation to ANYONE is when you see, or hear about products that promise, claim that they provide a short cut to success, or that they replace skill with technology---be VERY cautious. Ther are alot of things in todays world that are not reaaly necessary to take game with a bow, but again--its a personal choice as to whether each person buys the products. My choice that has worked for me is a recurve bow, simple sight, elevated rest, carbon arrows tipped with 125 grain heads that has taken a pile of game--again my choice. That doesn't make it what everyone else should do as far archery. Year after year I watch the cost of gear go up, and up. I as anyone kind of scratch my head, and ask where will it stop??---it won't as long as folks keep buying the products. I mcan make the choice to take it, or leave it. I ask myself everytime I look at new gear--"do i need it--or do I simply just want it??"-----if the industry relide on folks like me----they would have been broke long ago.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Holly cow--pardon my lack of spell check,and all ten thumbs tapping the keyboard on that last post----yuck--not my best typing skills--for sure--sorry about that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts